NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Modifying a Nikon DSLR?

Am just starting with astrophotography and have made a gentle start just seeing what my Nikon D600 can do with some of my lenses and have been having fun imaging the moon and Milky Way with some decent results just on a photographic tripod.  Am intending to buy an HEQ5 pro shortly with a view to using a DSLR on it and getting used to that before looking to buy a telescope - probably a small refractor.  Although have looked at the notion of buying a Canon to have modded and an adapter to enable me to use my Nikon lenses as some of them are very good glass some of the reviews of adapters suggest they can present  difficulties so I was wondering if before I go down the Canon road there is anyone who modifies Nikon cameras?

have not had much joy so far!

Cheers

Annie

Hi Annie

Big CCD cameras like the D600 will need a big flattener or reducer on a telescope, the D600 has very low noise characteristics so astro imaging should be no problem with prime lenses..

For the price of a decent full frame capable telescope you could pick up a Skywatcher ED80 , flattener and astro modified 1100D  :)

Hi Guy - thanks for your reply - I wasn't intending to have my full frame D600 modified as it's my main camera for my general photography but thought about  buying more of an entry level Nikon and having that modified but haven't been able to find anyone who modifies Nikon cameras.  You're right about the low noise characteristics  the D600 has but I didn't know I would need a big flattener or reducer on a telescope and I don't understand  what would be a 'full frame capable telescope'? Perhaps as you suggest it would be more sensible to go for the Skywatcher ED80 which I had in mind anyway and a modified Canon.

Cheers

Annie

Am just starting with astrophotography and have made a gentle start just seeing what my Nikon D600 can do with some of my lenses and have been having fun imaging the moon and Milky Way with some decent results just on a photographic tripod.  Am intending to buy an HEQ5 pro shortly with a view to using a DSLR on it and getting used to that before looking to buy a telescope - probably a small refractor.  Although have looked at the notion of buying a Canon to have modded and an adapter to enable me to use my Nikon lenses as some of them are very good glass some of the reviews of adapters suggest they can present  difficulties so I was wondering if before I go down the Canon road there is anyone who modifies Nikon cameras?

have not had much joy so far!

Cheers

Annie

Hi Annie,

I've tried enough adapters over the years to know that they are not all created equal ! Some of them will allow your lenses to sag considerably due to there being two extra surfaces for the manufacturer to get wrong. One way round it, when you get your heq5, would be to use a large ring to hold the lens straight. I've included a photo of my camera and a 300mm f2.8 lens I'm grappling with at the moment. This would at least give you a fighting chance if you tried the Canon route.

If you have " G " lenses then you may need an adapter with the control lug built into it or you won't be able to alter the diaphragm. ( Not that I do with the longer lenses )

Have you asked any of the camera modifiers if they'll do a Nikon ? A slight problem would be that they won't be able to get a Baader replacement glass slip, I don't think.

The " Normal " way is to get a Canon and a refractor. I'm not normal, so like lenses :eek:

Dave.

post-493-0-92494200-1407509734_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave - two of my lenses are 'G' type (including  my 300mm f/2.8) whilst my  wide angle is 'D' type.  I will see if anyone will modify a nikon.  Whilst I've never considered myself 'normal' I may on this occasion see what that's like and buy a modified canon and refractor but hope to have fun experimenting with my Nikon!

Thanks for responding .

Annie 

Archived