Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

USB to Serial Converter and Windows 8.1

JRWASTRO

Greetings All,

I have bought a lap top machine, running Windows 8.1,  to control my Skywatcher goto dob and upgrade the firmware in the hand controller.  This control and upgrade takes place via a serial connection brought about by a 

"Prolific USB to Serial Converter" . This converter works on my old XP machine but refuses to work on the W8.1 lap top. 

When I plug in the device it is recognised and a com port is assigned eg. COM4. But the device refuses to work even though I have installed the latest drivers, so the device manager says.

Please can any body offer a fix to this problem.

Many thanks in advance,

Jeremy.

Greetings Daz and thank you for the reply.

My USB to Serial device is made by "Prolific" and has the part number U232-P9. It is a fairly elderly device and worked well on my old machine. I'm beginning to think that your last sentence may be true. I noticed a supplier here advertised a more modern product compared to the one I have. The specification says that it is compatible with Windows 8.1 . If I bought one and it did not work on my lap top I could return it !!

Jeremy.

Try this driver download it worked on my Win 64bit PC although i did also buy a Maplins code ZP43W cable, you might not need the cable, then again you might.....:)

http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=225&pcid=41

Thank you Tinker.

Yes, this driver worked after I re-booted the lap top. I'll now see how stable is every thing.

Kind Regards,

Jeremy.

Archived