Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC6960 PI Drizzle Intergration (huge image)

Earl

This is My Ha Data 4 Hours of 600s subs

Had a play with the new PI Drizzle Intergration, I like what it does keeps stars tight too.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43788925/drizzle_integration.jpg Full Size (11mb JPG !!!) 6652 x 5008

Not sure i like masked stretch though it really seems to take the punch out of stuff even after a LHE

I don't like what masked stretch does either, it certainly keeps the star bloating under control but overal it produces a low contrast image. You can try and recover the contrast but without a very effective star mask you'd risk loosing the stars again. One way is to try and transpose the stars from masked stretch to a histogram stretch image using pixel math. I did this for RGB stars on to my NB of the NGC 6992. Harry's page has a simple tutorial for doing this using pixel math but the "correct"  way is in the PI tuorials in the PI forum. The other problem that I find with masked stretch is that unless you are able to find a patch of neutral back ground, RGB capture,  to use as target the image always ends up with colour bias. Very nice capture none the less, well done.

Regards,

A.G

It looks very 'Pixinsight' to me. Although there is a lot of nebulsity it looks flat. I'm sure you could do better in Photoshop or using Curves to stretch in PI. (I think that's possible?)

I use a pure log stretch (moving the grey point slider to the left) for colour and sometimes for Lum, but I always give Ha a very aggressive Curves stretch. I make a Curve which rises very steeply indeed to pretty near the top and then bend it tightly to a straight line at the finish. In fact during a processing session with guests, yesterday, I tried both methods on the new North America Ha data and the aggressive stretch was far better, producing greater local contrasts. Oddly (and I can't explain this) it also produced less noise in the faint stuff. I expected it to produce more.

Ha%20First%20Curve.-L.jpg

This has nothing to do with Drizzle, though, which might well be productive. It would be good to compare the same stretches with and without Drizzle.

Olly

PS I have more luck with home made star masks in Ps than I do with ones generated in PI but that is probably because I don't know what I'm doing in PI. WIth the 3Nm Ha filter you don't need them.The image above is from the 7Nm. In the 3Nm they were even smaller.

Archived