NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSOs via e-finder-x2

nytecam

Last night I tried for some larger DSO fields with my e-finder [85mm fl f/2 lens + Lodestar-Mx2] piggybacked on main scope - some earlier results at http://home.freeuk.com/m.gavin/elxfinder.htm

Despite having a batch of Pentax screw lenses from 600mm - 17mm fl I failed to find an adapter to couple them to my Lodestar AND the e-finder bracket on the scope so I just inserted a x2 Tele-extender [barlow to us!] between lens and camera to yield an effective 170mm fl f/4 lens for the e-finder. A red filter [aka poorman's H-alpha] remained on the lens so coverage ~600nm - 900nm range. 

Despite using the lens full aperture image were pretty sharp but some bloat from red stars in field as the camera is very sensitive to near-IR these stars radiate - some of these star are noted on the images with their spectral class via Megastar. 

Cloud intervened and curtailed the session but a fair tester [Vega/ M57/ M56/ M71 / M27 as below] for some larger DSOs next time with longer exposures. :police:

post-21003-0-34765500-1407076105_thumb.j

post-21003-0-12301700-1407076119_thumb.j

post-21003-0-41040300-1407076129_thumb.j

post-21003-0-33071700-1407076152_thumb.j

post-21003-0-64223900-1407076171_thumb.j

Thanks for this and your earlier posts on e-finders. Its always interesting to see familiar objects in ultra-wide fields.

This is something I intend to try out myself. I picked up a batch of old camera lenses in a UK antique shop at 15 quid the lot some time ago and found a nice Carl Zeiss amongst them. Its just a case of finding the right adaptors now. 

Martin

Thanks for this and your earlier posts on e-finders. Its always interesting to see familiar objects in ultra-wide fields.

This is something I intend to try out myself. I picked up a batch of old camera lenses in a UK antique shop at 15 quid the lot some time ago and found a nice Carl Zeiss amongst them. Its just a case of finding the right adaptors now.

Martin

Thanks Martin - I use a M42 (Pentax screw) to C-mount adaptor to couple lens to Lodestar but can't remember where I bought it - probably a junk sale.  Here's an over-exposed moon from last night to give a clue to sky coverage with set-up :cool:

post-21003-0-14071000-1407137286_thumb.j

Liking the ultra-wide fields Maurice! Its really nice to see the wider picture on some of our favourite objects and how they appear amongst the sea of surrounding stars.

I've actually been looking at getting something going myself - how do you attach your lens to C-mount adapter / lens / camera assembly to the mount / piggyback? I was also looking at one of the Geoptik converters as it has the benefit of being able to put a 1.25" filter in the image train so I can use my collection of filters. I think that has a tripod adapter so I could piggy back it via that - although to be fair at very low FL there is the possibility to not even put it on a driven mount (i.e. just a normal tripod)?

Archived