NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SUN NOW

mog3768

If you get the chance get out and look at the sun, plenty of prominence's and sun spots one huge filament must be a fifth of the diameter.

The wife has just commandeered the observing seat so hence the message. 

I have just awoken from my late session last night and the sun is shining, like a jewel, through the gaps in the curtains :laugh:

I am going to haul myself out of bed and get the dual mount out. Ha and white light here I come.

What a wonderful 24 hours of observing, Is this a dream ?

I have to say what a wonderful couple of proms, the 6 O'clock prom is massive, it must be the one I read about yesterday. There is also another detached prom at the 9 O'clock position and a few smaller proms dotted about the remainder of the disc.

I agree, that filament is absolutely huge and is at least on 5th of the size of the whole sun. the surface detail is also looking excellent, another day in front of the scope for me, what a hard life this is :grin:

There are a lot of sunspots also, none are massive by recent standards, but there are plenty of them.

Sunny delight :laugh:

Yes a great few hours but had to pack in as we will be moving soon, so have started to dismantle the obsy it's only a sliding roof one but worth taking with us.

Did not realise just how much gear I have accumulated. But it's all going with us, will miss the great field of view I have at present east south and west. New place is only north and south.

It does make you feel good when you get a good day or night of viewing, especially when you can still get that wow factor. 

Make you realise how lucky you are to have the equipment to view these sights.

I agree, yesterday was great viewing. Both Chromosphere and Prominence Quarks had their own treasures to display, from the prom on the eastern limb resembling a big ol' oak tree with extended flames spewing way out from its 'foliage' and back toward the limb, to brilliant jets sporadically erupting straight upwards from a scene of otherwise typical spicules, to faint wisps of an enormous prom toward the west, either at the beginning or end of it's short but spectacular life. Not to mention that amazing filament making it's way across the newly pocked face of the solar disk.

Has to make one think what a constantly awesome object our sun is to view in Ha!

Yes have to agree Ha or white light it's spectacular. I have really enjoyed the viewing the sun as it is constantly changing.

I have viewed in white light for a long time but since I got my Lunt LS60 I appreciate more all the enthusiasm of the previous posts of other forum members

Archived