NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lens hood for Nifty Fity with 52mm thread?

I want to mount a 2" filter in front of my Canon nifty-fifty ( 50mm f1.8) lens.  I've just bought a 52mm to 48mm filter adaptor so I can do this and have just realised that now I cannot fit the lens hood in front of the 2" filter (Doh). As I see it, I have two alternatives

1 - Buy a second (additional) lens hood that will fit on to the front of a 2" filter

2 - Buy a replacement lens hood that has male 52mm filter thread on the back and a female 52mm thread on the front.

The disadvantages of option 1 are having to store a second bulky lens hood and not being sure I can get the correct size of lens hood with risking either of vignetting and not being sure I am getting the best shading/dew protection

The disadvantages of option 2 are having to buy a second (replacement) lens hood and the hood not providing optimum dew protection /shading when the 2" filter is fitted in front of it.

Either way I don't want to spend a lot of money on this.

You're thoughts would be welcome, along with suggestions for a either a suitable 48mm lens hood or a 52mm lens hood with 52mm filter threads front and back.

Thanks

Getting a cheap 48mm thread lens hood is proving difficult.  So the option of a 52mm screw in lens hood with a a front 52mm femal thread as well is the next option - but I can't as yet find any of these either..  Alternatively I could go for a 48mm to 52mm step ring in front ot the 48mm filter.  This would be cheap (£6) but I'd have to buy a pair of filter wrenches as well else there is a high chance of not being able to get the hwole caboodle apart.

Hey mate, if you do decide you want a suitable lens hood check out the nikon hr-2 rubber folding hood. It's designed for the older 50mm lens and has a 52mm male and female thread so you can fit a filter to it. I use one with my 50mm series e lens.

A 48 to 52 mm adapter so you can mount your stock lens hood on your 2" filter could be something?

Or else, this rubber lens hood should do the job.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/52mm-Standard-Universal-Rubber-Lens-Hood-for-Canon-Nikon-Sony-Camera-Lens-F8s-/370845955618?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5658243622

You just mount it directly on your lens, then mount your filter inside the lenshood. It could give you some vignetting if you are unlucky. But its cheap to try.

Archived