NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Camera and Telescope Focal length Question

So I connected my Pentax K-r to my telescope (came with barlow with T-Adapter). No problems so far, but I'm only testing. Done a couple of photos and Video of the moon. When I turn on my camera it comes up with 34 focal lengths to choose from, 8mm right up to 800mm. So since I have a Skymax 127 the focal Length is 1500mm (f/11.81).

Which leads me to my question:

1. What is the best focal to choose? (800 seems is the closest, but still far off 1500).

Thank You.

That should make no difference to the image at all, I suspect the camera will embed that value into the EXIF data in the image... which really does make no difference... With Canon, the focal length in the EXIF is... hmm... I can't remember exactly, it's either blank or 0... 

Thank your for your responses, I always set to manual exposure mode. It is just something that comes up when the camera is switch on connected to the telescope (everytime). Got a decent video though of the moon and got a few family friends stunned at the detail. Which is great when some have never shown that great an interest. Power of Astronomy!

Archived