Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SkyWatcher Skymax-127 SynScan AZ GOTO - Accessories Advice!

Morning all!

After something like three years of wistfully eyeing up telescopes from afar (graduated smack in the middle of the recession, and joined the massed ranks of enthusiastic-but-serially-unemployable English Literature/Creative Writing graduates) and researching prospective 'scopes while trying to charm/con prospective employers into hiring me, I'm finally in a position to actually buy one, and have opted for the Sky-Watcher Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO, bought from First Light Optics.

I've heard from members of the local astronomy society that GOTO functionality isn't necessarily as 'go-to' as all that, but the Skymax looked like a reliable entry-level option, and was a fair whack cheaper than the NexStar series (that, and collimation for Newtonians frankly scared me).

I understand that the Skymax is largely aimed at lunar/planetary observing, and having spent some months torn over what 'scope to purchase, I've now reached Bafflement Stage #2 - Purchasing Accessories. I'm a bit completely overawed at the sheer range of accessories, and would really appreciate help on where to go from here.

The Skymax (bought from First Light Optics) comes complete with the following:

• Eyepieces Supplied (1.25") 10mm & 25mm
  • x2 Deluxe Barlow Lens (1.25") with camera adaptor
  • 6x30 Finderscope
  • 90° Star Diagonal (1.25”)
  • SynScan™ AZ GoTo Computerised Alt-Azimuth HD Go-To Mount

Although I'll be using the Skymax for planetary and lunar observation by and large, I'd quite like to be able to view DSOs (I understand the Skymax has limited reach in this area, but any potential faint fuzzies recommendations would be appreciated!), but as higher-aperture telescopes were largely out of my price range, and considering that I needed as much portability as possible (I live in a flat on the outskirts of Leeds/Headingley, so Dobsonians and Newtonians were kind of out of the question), I thought I'd opt for the Skymax. If there are any accessories that might aid DSO viewing specifically, any recommendations would be brilliant, although I know this isn't the Skymax's strong suit.

I also gather that the GOTO consumes batteries at a terrifying rate, and really suffers when they're running low, so will definitely be looking to get a power tank (preferably chargable as I doubt I'll be able to run it from the car - not a lot of dark places to park around Leeds, so may have to lug across fields first!) - any recommendations in this regard would also be great. Photography (beyond sticking my iPhone to the lens) isn't a concern just yet.

Thanks very much for reading - Skygazers Lounge seems like just about the most knowledgeable and good-natured forum on the internet, so excuse any mistakes or contradictions on my part: I'm about as new to this as you can get!

Many thanks,

Nick

Nice big 32mm plossl, simply helps to get anything in the field of view.

The supplied 25mm tends to be OK, the barlow and 10mm questionable, also no real need for a barlow, the scope has a long focal length anyway.

After that I would say a 12mm and a 15mm and either keep the 25mm or get a better 25mm.

Being a Mak plossl's of reasonable quality will operate fine, could consider the Vixen NLV's.

If it is troublesome to change the focus then a flexible twiddly thingy - probably does have a name but no idea what.

For the moon you may want a moon filter, or live with the image of the moon burnt into your retina for about 3 minutes after you look at it. I find the residual image amusing, just dare not wander around until it clears.

As plossl's are not par-focal you may want to get say a 32mm plosslt to find things then say the BST's for viewing - less focus adjustment. If so the 12mm, 15mm then 18mm or 25mm.

Don't actually need much and most can be collected as one bit every month to spread the cost. But I think the 32mm plossl is the main one.

Welcome to SGL! To be honest, I wouldn't worry too much about getting accessories yet, you could end up spending a small (large) fortune and not use any of them!

It sounds as though the Skymax comes with everything you need to get started. I would get a bit of observing done first and then see what you enjoy the most and look at accessories for helping in those areas.

The only accessory I would perhaps suggest is a moon filter (I'd try and get a variable one). They are not very expensive but massively help with viewing the moon - you will be surprised how bright the moon actually is!

Hi all, thanks for the advice - I've actually performed a bit of a U-turn and have opted for the Celestron Omni XLT 127 (SCT, little bit more aperature, sturdier-but-lighter-tripod - actually managed to rest the Skymax, and while I did like it, the GOTO seemed a little twitchy, and having stargazed the old-fashioned way (eyes and bins) for about three years, I'm not bad at star-hopping).

Will keep everyone's advice in mind though and hold off on further accesories until I've had time to familiarise myself with the kit.

Thanks all!

Archived