Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

To buy Celestron Skymaster 20x80 Binoculars or not to buy

I have some basic questions and any advice will help.

I found this product for $100

1.  How much would I really be able to see?

2. Are they any good for terrestrial use?

3. Is there a different model you would recommend more, at a similar price?

4. would I be better off with even the most basic of scopes available in the same price range + or - $30

This scope for example is the same price  Orion SpaceProbe 3 Altazimuth Reflector Telescope

I would like something easy to put in a bag and take on a trip.

I am just starting out so easy of use, portability, and as much bang for the buck I can get in the under $175 range.

Looking forwards to your insight.

jb

They are big beasts.. imagine 2x80mm refractors in your hands.

These are quite heavy and not really for terrestrial use. Once on a mount or monopod they will be good for wide field astro work. You will see the Moon (but not in huge detail) and the moons of Jupiter. Their great worth is on the scanning you can do of the night sky, nice wide field of views.

I suggest you actually look at a pair and you will see how big they are.

If you want dual use, terrestrial and astro then look at 10x50's.

Binoculars of this size really must be used on a tall sturdy tripod to be useful for astronomy. Such a tripod could cost you as much as the binoculars so that needs to be borne in mind.

Hi JB,

I am a novice astronomer and have purchased them Celestron 20x80's.

Specific replies to your questions in red font below.

Planets - Mercury and Venus resolve to a disc as does Mars but cannot see phases or features. Jupiter is good and can see all four moons but no colour bands. Saturn appears as a rugby ball but again no bands and rings not really discernible but I can just about make out Titan. ISS cannot see features. Good for general stargazing, excited when I was able to see the Pleiades in detail for the first time.!

Yes. Church spire located 200M from my garden able to see all the brickwork, grouting, gargoyles features and Pigeon excrement!

No idea, sorry.

4. would I be better off with even the most basic of scopes available in the same price range + or - $30

This scope for example is the same price  Orion SpaceProbe 3 Altazimuth Reflector Telescope

Leave this to others who know more but for me they are an ideal and portable first step. I don't have a good view of the Hhorizon from my place so have to cycle a mile or so to my local park and the tripod and binos fit nicely into a medium sized back pack.

I am just starting out so easy of use, portability, and as much bang for the buck I can get in the under $175 range.

Go for it!

• 3 months later...

Hi JB,

I am a novice astronomer and have purchased them Celestron 20x80's.

Specific replies to your questions in red font below.

Planets - Mercury and Venus resolve to a disc as does Mars but cannot see phases or features. Jupiter is good and can see all four moons but no colour bands. Saturn appears as a rugby ball but again no bands and rings not really discernible but I can just about make out Titan. ISS cannot see features. Good for general stargazing, excited when I was able to see the Pleiades in detail for the first time.!

Yes. Church spire located 200M from my garden able to see all the brickwork, grouting, gargoyles features and Pigeon excrement!

No idea, sorry.

Leave this to others who know more but for me they are an ideal and portable first step. I don't have a good view of the Hhorizon from my place so have to cycle a mile or so to my local park and the tripod and binos fit nicely into a medium sized back pack.

Go for it!

I ended up getting the Pentax 20X60 Binos, they arrived just yesterday in great shape. I'll let you know as I haven't gotten a chance to get out at night yet but the image is crystal clear during the day.

cheers

Archived