Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sunspots are back! 2014-7-22

YKSE

Having just got heschel wedge and 120ED, the Sun has been quiet for a few days.

Yesterday the first sunspot appeared on Northeast (morning Sun), today it has developed to a line of sunspots nearby, AND, two new groups of sunspots! one near westen limb, one in southwest.

Tried Leica zoom and Mark III zoom, near 12mm seems to give best constrast, faculae near the westen sunspots are readily seen in both EPs, also the faculae developed near south later on. granulations seen here and there too.

Both zooms work very well as solar EP, MarkIII showed slight field curvature, need to adjust focus to get center and edge in optimum focus, Leica shows a bit more ditail around big sunspots.

There's a fantastic, huge prominence on the left hand side of the Sun in H-alpha too! It's massive!

I took an afocal shot with the iPhone. It doesn't do it justice:

post-28380-0-38361100-1406033731.jpg

Other than that, the Sun seemed quite quiet - I could make out a filament, and a sun spot with some plage in the south west (I think it's west - bottom left anyway).

But wow, what a show on the edge!

Yes, you're right about H-alpha view, I see the proms to the left, the sunspot on the North is more obvious in PST. While in 120ED white light, much smaller sunspots are readily seen at the same time.

The two proms on the western limb, just either side of 9 o'clock, are awesome. There are many others all round but those two are huge and have been developing all day.

Have only observed in Ha, so the sunspots were not that obvious - but definitely there. Furthermore, is it possible that there's something big happening/about to develop near the northeast limb? Looks like an awful lot of granulation or similar and it was suggested (by Michael, I think) some days back that there could be something 'lurking' behind that edge ...

I'll watch this space, as they say.

I have just managed a 45 minute session and such beautiful clear blue sky :laugh:

Its great to see the Sunspots are coming around again, I like the way granulation and Plage that is surrounding sunspot stand out more as the have just cleared the limb. ( In white light )

The prominences are looking great and there are quite a number of them spread around the disc :laugh: The largest one of the two in the 9 O'clock position looks like the angel on the Swan Song record label.

A new sunny day today (23rd).

In white light, the sunspots in west have reduced in strength and numbers, while sunspots in southeast have grown to the the strongest, also the triangle formed sunspots in south faculae easily seen here. Also new sunspots in southeast closer to center.

In PST (mirrored view to heschel wedge?), sunspots start to shown in east, with some proms.

Archived