Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My wishlist for starting more serious imaging

Hi,

I was wondering if you fine people would have any comments on my wishlist / purchasing plans. I'm particularly interested in the imaging side - starting with planetary and maybe moving on to DSOs later. I've gotten some fair results on planets using my Nikon and Mak and I've been investigating how to improve.

Hopefully I can purchase a fair bit of this second hand and I'm certainly not planning (able!) to get it all at once.

Current kit:

• SkyMax 127 on a Supatrak Alt-Az mount
  • Skwatcher Light Pollution filter
  • Generic Moon filter
  • Nikon D7000 (unmodified)
  • T ring
  • Stock diagonal, 2x barlow, 10mm EP, 25mm EP
  • 8mm Starguider EP
  • Starguider manual filter wheel
  • 12Ah Power tank

Wishlist:

• Evostar 80ED OTA - £350

Probably a later purchase, I can focus on lunar / planetary for a while yet. But it's good to have aspirations planned out.

• HEQ5 - £630

This is obviously the biggest single purchase. Do you think I could get away with imaging DSOs with an EQ5 for a bit?

• Cheapo "LIDL" guidescope - £20
  • ZWO ASI1​20MM - £260

The reviews are all very positive. Considered the colour version, but figured I might as well do it "properly". Plus I quite enjoy all the editing stuff.

• Making Every Photon Count (waiting for 2nd hand copy to show up)
  • Revelation  2.5x Barlow - ~£30
  • 25mm Starguider / Explorer EP. Maybe an 12mm too

I love my 8mm and the reviews are all good so...

• LRGB filters.

Cheapest set I can find is ~£73 for http://www.firstlightoptics.com/rgb-filters-filter-sets/baader-rgb-filter-set-with-ir-cut.html

Will that suffice for starting with? Filters seem to me to be the sort of thing you can easily upgrade so unless the more expensive ones are substantially better I'm tending towards the cheaper sets to begin with.

Any comments or advice? Have I missed something vital that I should look out for?

Thanks,

You say in your OP and title 'more serious imaging' - To me that suggests that you want to achieve good results and in DSO imaging there are no short cuts. An HEQ5 is going to be a must for serious imaging. You will need a good solid mount and one that is able to achieve long exposures. Mine used to churn out 30 minute exposures all night.

You will also want to consider a reducer / field flattener for that 80ED if you are planning on using a DSLR, otherwise the corners will produce far from serious images.

Sadly what you require for imaging planets and DSO's are different, and I can't help on the former.

I wouldn't bother with the guide camera
if your doing DSO's you can use the ASI as a guide camera and it supports ST4

you can use a HEQ5 but the 6 is a better choice esp for guiding and longer exposures

its a more stable mount with better motors from what I know

Archived