NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSLR video for Registax-choose video quality

I'd like to try imaging the moon with my DSLR and Registax 6.1. Reading the Registax tutorials, it seems pretty clear. Problem is, I've never shot any kind of video before. My D5100 has a long list of video quality settings ranging from 1080 to 420, with several versions of each. Frame rates listed as 24 or 25 FPS.

I have a 30 gb card, so that isn't a limitation. My lens is an effective 600mm @f/5.6 . I made a test video in daylight today and it was easy and came out good. I do have Backyardnikon beta 2b and DUSB cable for camera control. I'm not too concerned about much except choosing the right video quality to make a great shot and be a good fit for registax.

BTW shooting on a tripod.

Suggestions appreciated-Jack

use the planetary mode in BYN and get a good image on the screen and record the video that way
this takes care of the format for you and avoids any compatibility issues with the format from your camera

You will get better , more detailed results using the camera as normal and shooting full size single RAW frames to stack , the video mode will reduce the quality I'm afraid.

Concentrate on nailing the focus and set the camera to produce under-exposed images that can be adjusted up later after stacking.

Try JamesF's tutorial for a starting point .... http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/184192-full-disc-lunar-imaging-with-a-dslr/?hl=%2Blunar+%2Bstacking#entry1937750

You will get better , more detailed results using the camera as normal and shooting full size single RAW frames to stack , the video mode will reduce the quality I'm afraid.

Concentrate on nailing the focus and set the camera to produce under-exposed images that can be adjusted up later after stacking.

Try JamesF's tutorial for a starting point .... http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/184192-full-disc-lunar-imaging-with-a-dslr/?hl=%2Blunar+%2Bstacking#entry1937750

Won't you still have to reformat the raw files to JPEG or AVI before you stack of does R6 work with Nikon raw?

The above is why I OP'd about imaging the moon with video. My camera takes 1080 and combined images with linked wavelets applied should be sharp enough. Probably won't get a chance at it tell next full moon. I'll post results here. That's what's important IMO.-Jack

Registax V5.1 supports RAW files , though in all cases it is better to convert your RAW files into TIFFs before stacking , PIPP will do this for you as well as centering and cropping as required.

Reg 6 is to be avoided in my opinion , much better are AS!2 or Reg 5.1.

I have experimented with the video output from DSLRs and the results are nowhere near as good as those from using stacked single frames.

@Steve. I do appreciate the advice. One other factor is that I am trying to learn tools and techniques. Right now, I want to get a good image, but my main concern is learning the different methods of image capture.-Jack

Archived