NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My first goto

alan687

im looking at getting a goto mount to enhance my observing, ideally i would go and buy a HEQ6 but that's way to expensive for me.

After a bit of looking around i came across this http://www.amazon.co.uk/SynScan-AZ-GOTO-Mount-Tripod/dp/B0039ZM2QI/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1405711462&sr=1-4&keywords=SynScan+AZ+GoTo

its more within what i am willing to spend, i have a astromaster 130, would this mount be suitable and does anyone have any recommendations on anything that would be better at around the same price

Alan

The EQ6 is an equatorial mount and the Synscan AZ is an alt-azimuth mount.

An equatorial mount will enable you observe and to do astrophotoraphy if you want to take it up in the future, 

but the synscan will be no good for astrophotography.

If you think you will just want to observe, then the synscan would be fine.... but if you change your mind later, you will need to change to an equatorial mount.

The EQ6 is an equatorial mount and the Synscan AZ is an alt-azimuth mount.

An equatorial mount will enable you observe and to do astrophotoraphy if you want to take it up in the future, 

but the synscan will be no good for astrophotography.

If you think you will just want to observe, then the synscan would be fine.... but if you change your mind later, you will need to change to an equatorial mount.

why is an alt az mount no good for photography i know it moves differently to an eq but if it is tracking the object and keeping it centered whats the problem

why is an alt az mount no good for photography i know it moves differently to an eq but if it is tracking the object and keeping it centered whats the problem

Field rotation is why an EQ moves differently. Alt-az mounts are fundamentally useless for long exposure astrophotography.

The axis of the equatorial is parallel to Earth's axis so the mount rotates around just that axis to follow a star.

The alt-az mount moves up and down and also left and right to follow a star... so although it does follow it, the field of view rotates in the eyepiece... so any long exposure photos will show up this rotation as star trails around the centre point of the field of view.

Because the equatorial mimics the rotation of the Earth, you do not get this field rotation.

Bottom line is that you need an equatorial mount for astrophotography...except maybe for short exposures of the Moon or Sun.

Have you considered the EQ3 Pro synscan?

thanks for the explanation, i had not considered the field of view rotating.

The eq3 seems good but its getting out of my league as i plan on buying a 600d camera at some point and it feels strange bolting 800 quid of gear onto a 100 quid scope.

so for me i think getting a camera first would be as i will get more use out of it plus i can take terrestrial shots using my telescope and short exposure shots

whats the longest exposure you can take without getting star trails 5-10 seconds?

also ive read good things about the 600d is there anything else in the £400 range that would be better

Alan

The EQ£ pro synscan is a goto equatorial mount... good enough for light weight photo setup.... can be got without a scope.

The length of time before star trails depends on focal length of lens really.

Wide angle lens gives longer time before it is noticeable.....it very much depends on your setup.

Also, the further from the celestial pole, the quicker the stars move.

Archived