NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Binoculars for holiday - astro use - advice please

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just bought an Olympus 8x40 DPSI that I can take as hand luggage on the flight when I go on holiday. Good review from Binocular Sky and low price were the deciding factors for me. Initial impressions were very favourable and I'm looking forward to using them on some hopefully clear southerly skies when I go away.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking at the same pair for travelling. Have you had chance to try them?

No not yet. I am hoping to try several different pairs during September. I am going to the Canaries late October so have time to get it right - hopefully.

By the way welcome to SGL and your first post. I am sure you will see this is a friendly forum with lots of helpful advice.

I've just returned from Rhodes, where I took my new Olympus 8x40 DPSIs. I was particularly keen to see Sagittarius and Scorpius in better viewing conditions and higher up in the sky than at home! There was some heat haze and street and car lights meant my eyes weren't as dark-adapted as I would have liked. Even so, the Lagoon nebula was outstanding and I was able to see M23 easily, an object that has eluded me from home. Also seen for the first time were  M4, M6 and  M7 (what a superb sight that was). The binoculars were easy to carry and easily fitted into my flight bag. They were also great for day-time viewing. I'm very happy with them and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them as inexpensive bins for travel.

Archived