NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can't decide - Skywatcher Startravel 120 or Evostar 80ED2 Pro - advice needed

Hi all :wave:

Ok so now down to 2 possibilities for my next scope:

(1) Startravel 120 - 120mm objective lens, f/600, f/5

(2) Evostar 80ED2 Pro - 80mm objective lens, f/600, f/7.5

Now I know what you are all thinking, for image quality it's no contest with the ED80 winning hands down, but the thing which is slightly concerning me, (appart from the cost difference), is as follows:

(1) The Startravel is f/5 where as the ED80 is f/7.5, am I therefore correct in saying that for the same dso, the ED80 would effectively require double the exposure time to produce the same image as the Startravel 120 ?

(2) The Startravel has a 120mm objective lens where as the ED80 has an 80mm, again this would effectively mean that the ED80 would require roughly double the exposure time of the Startravel 120 yes ?

Adding the above 2 factors together would in effect mean that the exposure time required on the ED80 would be roughly 4 times what is require on the Startravel 120, (or have I got it all wrong ?).

If the above is pretty much correct then the longer exposure times concern me as this would require more accurate setup of the mount and obviously more time to produce the final image and I am worried that this may well take some of the fun out of it for me :lol:

Do you think that I am being silly and the quality difference between these 2 scopes is so huge that I should just go for the ED80 and live with the longer exposure times or do you think that for speed and ease of imaging, (fun factor), the Startravel 120 is indeed perhaps the better bet ?

As always any thoughts / guidance would be very helpfull.

Thanks in advance

:D

Ian

Thanks for the above, very informative info, (probably going to have to read it several more times before I understand the majority of it though :? ).

I too am now coming to the conclusion that the ED80 PRO2 is the way to go but now onto where to buy it from :

Pulsar Optical (Astronomy and Nature Centre) are doing it for £445.-

I have had excellent service from here before and they are close enough to enable me to collect but price wise they are simply not competitive for this purchase.

FLO £415.-

Although I have not used this company before, it is obvious from this forum that they are very highly regarded but again they are unfortunately not competitive on price.

Ian King Imaging - £379.99 (including delivery)

Never used this company before but have spoken to him and he certainly knows his stuff. Anyone else had experience with them either good or bad ?

Modern Astronomy - £379.- (including delivery).

Again I have never used this company but there are lots of positive testimonials on their site. Anyone else used them before ?

As always thanks in advance

:wave:

Ian

Hi Ian,

Of the suppliers you list above I have only used FLO and their service is excellent.

Why not give one or two of these a ring and discuss your prosepctive purchase direct with them - I often find personal discussion more productive :D

John

FLO £415.-

Although I have not used this company before, it is obvious from this forum that they are very highly regarded but again they are unfortunately not competitive on price.

Sorted :D

We price-check regularly (last night alone six items were reduced) but if you spot a situation like this where we are not competitive please don't hesitate to contact us.

<edit> We also have a secondhand ED80 OTA

• 3 weeks later...

Very impressive and speedy response thanks Steve, it's easy to see why FLO is so highly regarded here :hello1:

I would have certainly gone for the ED80 if it wasn't for the fact that I received an offer on a 2nd hand ED100 which was simply too good to refuse.

Anyway I just wanted to say thanks and I will be sure to pass any of my future business your way.

Thanks again

:wink:

Ian

Archived