European Extremely Large Telescope

reactolite

European Extremely Large Telescope - 40 mts.   And this was a compromise as originally they wanted 100mts, aperture fever or what!!

Will this behemoth have enough resolution to directly image planets outside our solar system?  If not then just how big a telescope would be needed to do that?

Yes, it's some scope. Its science goals include direct imaging of exoplanets, possibly even rocky planets.

Here's a nice graphic that shows the size of the mirror.

512px-Comparison_optical_telescope_prima

This is a really nice comparison chart.   Thanks!

i read that the original plan was for a 42m telescope but it was outside the budget so they removed a ring of mirrors reducing to to 39m, but it only costs a billion + a mountain to put it on so i might order one :grin:

I've just paced across my Garden - 13 Mtrs and only 36 feet above sea level.........

What were they thinking!

I wish they would consult before they go to development on these things.

Looks like they'll have to go to Chile again.

I've just paced across my Garden - 13 Mtrs and only 36 feet above sea level.........

What were they thinking!

I wish they would consult before they go to development on these things.

Looks like they'll have to go to Chile again.

just keep moving your garden fence out a meter every couple of weeks, you will get there and no one will notice, well they wont notice until you build a 39m telescope :lol:

Archived