NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

July 11, 2014: Beautiful proms during morning tea break

Just had the little LS35 set up, and was blown away by some big proms on the western limb. I had hoped for something nice as two ARs traverse the limb, and was not disappointed. A short, complex prom could be seen just south of the equator on the western limb, and just south of it, nearly overlapping, a huge ghostly flame rose. Itwas best seen at low magnification and seemed to consist of several wavering strands of plasma, apparently detached from the surface. Northwards on the western limb, another low prom could be seen. The eastern limb also showed a couple of good proms, and some BIG sunspots are still visible on the western part of the disk. Two PhD students came to have a look and both were very impressed.

I will certainly go and have another look at lunchtime

Yes there is quite a bit going on, one huge lovely semi detached beast at about 4 o'clock?

Just took a heap of avis that I hope are good enough for my first mosaic attempt, any pointers?

Yes there is quite a bit going on, one huge lovely semi detached beast at about 4 o'clock?

Just took a heap of avis that I hope are good enough for my first mosaic attempt, any pointers?

Your 4 o'clock should correspond to my 8, so yes that would be the ghostly flame I spotted.

I process my avis in AS!2 as a rule, run through Registax wavelets, and then merge with Autostitch64. Some postprocessing (deconvolve) with Fitswork4, and final tweaks in GIMP. Works for me.

I was very surprised to see that when I started up, I took a couple of avis at different exposures of the region so hopefully something nice comes from it.

Do you individually process or batch process in AS!2?

Nice report, Michael.

I was fortunate to see a flare spring up from the AR surrounding the larger sunspot on the western limb earlier on this morning. Was a first for me and a mighty fine sight.

Picked up on those wonderful proms around 7am, especially the 'ghostly flame' you described. Managed about 40mins observing and well pleased with all the other proms visible on the eastern limb (around 2 o'clock-ish).

Didn't get back to the scope until 2.45pm and found the 'ghost' gone, although the large and complex prom that was its neighbour was still there. But on the south limb (about 6 o'clock) there was/is a wisp that was so far detached from the disc that at first I thought it must be a smudge on my lens! It is enormous and seemed to waft as I watched.

Three or four huge proms on the east and spicules everywhere.

Back off out to the scope again now ...

Archived