NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Startled at the granulation...

jetstream

The new 120ED is giving me a fantastic view right now,everything sharp @ 204x and could take more.This is the best view yet,the granulation is not only visible @ 204x it has taken on a cell like structure!I can't believe it,my seeing is way above avg-I wonder how high I can go here.My Leica won't focus native or @ 2.5x barlow....yet.This is unreal and the set up has gone beyond my expectations......Granulation at 200 power,I'm startled to say the least

Once more knowledge is acquired PST mod here we go!Gotta find a good donor scope.......

Sounds fabulous Gerry, quite jealous!!! Must try my 106 next time, see how that goes. I'm not brave enough to use the HW with the Vixen but might try some Baader film.

I normally don't go above x67 so am surprised you were getting such good view at x200, the seeing must have been excellent, great stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am shocked as well,the 90mm would go 150x +/- in good conditions but this is another level yet.I find there is a small window of best conditions in the morning,about 9:30am-10:30 am now,and this has to coincide with great seeing.

My conditions are degrading now,starting to boil so I have dropped down to 13mm fl and 16mm fl EP's,the 120mm does seem more sensitive to conditions than the 90mm.I need a good 25mm EP for when things get sketchy.My 12.5mm Tak ortho is not in the same league as the LZ,but is still an excellent EP.The 16mm Nagler competes as does the 18mm BCO.

The granulation goes from a "salt and pepper" look to the mentioned cell structure,unreal.Yesterday,the conditions on the granulation favored the smaller scope for consistency,but the 120mm had "burst throughs" of wicked granulation.Last night the 120mm gave me the best ever high power view of the Double Double......it looked like two sets of bright eyeballs looking at me.... @ about 250x.

My wedge does get hotter with the 120mm,but not excessively,I think Baader tests them up to 150mm,but not sure.

I am hooked on solar.... :grin:

I like the high power on the sun Gerry.

Sunspots are great at 200 x in white light and show unbelievable detail :smiley:

Granulation really does takes on a new form at high power and a cell like structure is a great way to describe it. I sometimes think it looks like lots of different shaped pebbles all grouped together :smiley:

Good description Shaun,beach pepples,they look like that too.What ever we call them it is fantastic to be able to see this level of detail on the sun,amazing.I am thinking high power obs in white light may be under utilized.Very seeing dependent and eyepiece sensitive,but well worth the try.

Archived