Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A question of back focus

I have just acquired a TS APO65Q quadruplet refractor that I reported under a separate topic. I asked TS for the telescope's back focus as I plan to use this telescope with a CCD camera besides the Canon 60D modified that I have. I already have a SBIG STF-8300M and I had to buy adapters for the other refractors I have. Those refractors use field flatteners and I had to acquire adapters relative to the back focus of each refractor. TS says that I do not need to worry since the APO65Q is a quadruplet that incorporates a field flattener in its design and that the back focus is not important. I think they are mistaken and that I need that information as I will have to buy an adapter for the CCD in order to achieve focus.

Can anybody help with this? Is what TS says true?

Thanks for your help.

If you put a reducer / flattener in the light path then generally there is a recommended distance between the f/r and the camera chip, if you fit a camera directly on the scope then it just focuses normally AFIK .

Dave

If I recall correctly, the TS Quad is essentially a Petzval design so when used 'out of the box' exact spacing of the sensor is not critical.

Unfortunately, I am away from my PC and review notes but TS's assertion does not surprise me.

Sent from my iPhone from somewhere dark .....

Archived