NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can you get a larger jpeg image

Hi,

I got my first image of saturn using my new ZWO camera i took nearly 5000 frames and stacked it using registax, once registax done its work i had a choice of a tiff or a jpeg file, i saved it as a jpeg but when i tried to zoom into the picture it became very pixelated is there any way you can save it as a larger file or should i of saved it as a tiff file.

Thanks

Any image enlargement that you carry out will, of necessity, introduce some artefacts as the new image will contain interpolated data. However, starting with a TIFF is by far the better format as JPEG images already contain compression artefacts.

I find that a 200% enlargement using 'Bilinear' in PhotoShop works well, especially if you apply a tiny bit of sharpening (but don't overdo that!).

Never used Light room, but I would imagine you can edit jpegs in it. If not, save your image as a Tiff file then use Gimp or similar to edit the tiff file and then save as a jpg. The files you speak of will be pixelated as they don't contain the info in the first place. You can up size the picture (interpolate) and sharpen it as already suggested, but there is a limit on what you can achieve.

Archived