Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron CG5 Advanced GT having problems in DEC

pgt324

I'm having problems with my CG5 Advanced GT mount when I try to use the up arrow on the hand controller.  There is no movement, yet all of the other movement arrows work well.  The problem also occurs when I try to do auto alignment.  There is no movement in the direction that the up arrow would move the mount.  I had this problem a few weeks ago and fixed it by tightening the screws holding the DEC port to the pc-board.  This time when it happened again everything was tight.  Any thoughts on what it might be?

Thanks Steve,

Exchanging the lead doesn't do the trick.  I'm going to try downloading and installing NextRemote to completely rule out the handset.  If that doesn't work I'll order the board you found to try that.  It sounds easier than trying to find and repair broken solder.

I downloaded NexRemote and installed it on my laptop.  After connecting to the mount via the port at the base of the hand controller the system exhibited the same issue.  Onto replacing the port  or ports.  It may be that the problem is in the port in the DEC housing.  Or it could be the port at the other end of the cable in the power center.

I can't figure out how to get into the RA housing.  There is one screw, however when that is taken out, the RA housing won't come apart.  It seems there must be other screws, just not visible.

Archived