NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

some WL close ups, 2nd July

Joseki

Had my first go solar imaging with my evostar 120 this morning, despite constant high level cloud.  Using a lunt wedge + continuum filter + baader UV/IR filter and a GSO 3x barlow, + ASI120MM camera.

1000 frame captures, stacked in AS!2, keeping 10%, tweaked in GIMP

I'm pretty pleased with the granulations, they're my best images so far.  I was tempted to false colour them green in honour of the continuum filter but I'm not sure it would look 'proper'
I had a go Ha imaging with my Quark but the images are no good - mainly because of newtons rings.  I took a flat, but not very carefully since the images looked fine on screen and I think I'm just going to give up on that data, especially since I haven't found the best setting of the Quark for that scope yet.  Imaging is quite fun but I've also been enjoying the view.

Aligning my mount in daytime is another skill I seriously need to work on.

Fantastic white light close ups John.

I have only tried an ASI120MM on my Quark once. Directly connected there was Newton Rings, but I put a 0.5x focal reducer on the ASI and they went completely. Just for the record, my DMK41 shows slight Newton Rings without a focal reducer so I was pretty impressed with the ASI.

I want to see how close the FR can be to the ASI, so it gets rid of the NR, but keeps the high magnification.

Robin

Thanks Robin, I've been reading your Quark posts with interest (and the rest of them).  I don't have a focal reducer to try and I wondered if the effect of it on Newton Rings would be consistent across different scopes.  Also for just twice the price of a focal reducer I can get a tilt adaptor,

http://www.365astronomy.com/t2-camera-tilting-unit-from-teleskop-service-p-3653.html

which ZWO specifically mention as a solution to Newton Rings, Ha imaging and  the AS120MM.  

and seems to work okay:

http://zwoug.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1395

The pictures on the ZWO site are pretty impressive with the tilt adapter.  If you get one post a comparison, I might be interested.

I don't fully understand what causes the Newton Rings, they look like they are generated by diffraction, but do appear to be caused by internal reflections.  I have found that as the magnification is pushed up they seem to get worse.  With my Lunt 60 double stack and a DMK41, they are not visible.  Add a 1.5x barlow and I can just see them depending on the tuning.  Add a 2x Coronado barlow and they are very visible, although poor tracking and averaging usually gets rid of them.

Just one more thing to throw in, I often look down the blocking filter without an eyepiece, just to check that the scope is aligned before putting the camera in.  I noticed Newton Rings in the Quark and have never seen them before.  Now I do wear reading specs and it could be that the Quark and scope has a much longer FL than my Lunt, but I was a bit surprised.

Robin

Archived