NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which ccd to buy

Hi all.

I have a celestron nexstar 4se and want to try some solar imaging.

What would be a good camera to buy. I was looking at the neximage 5. Is this the best one for the range of my scope or would there be a more powerful camera which could image more subjects and I could use if I upgrade my telescope later on.

I have a pack of four different colour planatery filters. Would these be the same ones

Absolutely not! You will risk burning the hell out of the camera sensor or worse your eye if you were to look through the scope. To image in white light you need as a minimum some Baader Solar film. If you only want to use it for imaging use the ND5, if however you want to use it for visual as well get the ND 3.8 as shown here:-http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters.html

Please note that the ND5 film is only for use with a camera - not, I repeat not for visual use.

You can buy or make your own filter holder. It must however be fitted and secured to the scope so that it can not be accidentally knocked or blown off the objective end of the scope. It is also good practice to remove your finder scope just so there is no chance of you or others trying to look through it.

Have a search on here for tips on making a white light solar filter holder.

If you want to view and image in H-Alpha i.e. to see prominences and the like you need to spend a minimum of £600 for a Coronado PST.

Ian

NO please don't try to use them on their own

you need a special solar filter to look at / Image the sun
you can make your own with the correct material or buy one pre made here http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/astrozap-baader-solar-filter.html

never attempt to look at the sun without one of them fitted and also remove or cap your finder scope to avoid accidents

If you only want to use it for imaging use the ND5, if however you want to use it for visual as well get the ND 3.8 as shown here:-http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters.html

Please note that the ND5 film is only for use with a camera - not, I repeat not for visual use.

I think Uplooker got the numbers mixed up as he was typing there. The ND 5.0 is for visual and the ND 3.8 is for imaging. Do not use the ND 3.8 for visual or you risk damaging your eyes. You can still image with the ND 5 though.

Cool some good advise thanks.

If looking at the planets what camera would be best for my scope. (Nexstar 4se)

Depends what your budget is, I started with a 2 quid XBOX webcam, now using an SPC 900, and just looking at upgrading to a ZWO ASI120MC

Yes, just to clarify the darker ND5 is for visual use and you can image with it as well. The ND3.8 isn't safe to look through as it allows more light through to enable shorter exposures for imaging. Shorter exposures mean you can get sharper images.

If you only want to use it for imaging use the ND5, if however you want to use it for visual as well get the ND 3.8 as shown here:-http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters.html

Ian

I think Uplooker got the numbers mixed up as he was typing there. The ND 5.0 is for visual and the ND 3.8 is for imaging. Do not use the ND 3.8 for visual or you risk damaging your eyes. You can still image with the ND 5 though.

Oops, my bad. Yes I did get the numbers mixed up. My apologies. Please follow what Helite says.

Ian

Sounds like the asi 120mc I could be the one to go for.

Would I need any other accessories for looking at the planets or is the camera fine on its own. I have several eyepieces and planatery filters?

Sounds like the asi 120mc I could be the one to go for.

Would I need any other accessories for looking at the planets or is the camera fine on its own. I have several eyepieces and planatery filters?

You should be able to plug and play with that one, you don't need eyepieces, the camera is used in place of the eyepiece. I wouldn't bother with any filters for it if you are going for the colour camera. At a push maybe a barlow would be handy if you have one. Other than that my VERY amateur opinion would be just get the camera and try it out and see how you get on with it. And let us now how you find it.

Archived