NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Polar aligning my motorized EQ2

Link below is a PDF

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCoQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.langwoodsphotography.com%2Fdownloads%2FPolarAlignmentEQ1and2.pdf&ei=C5axU766EIbkOv7SgZAH&usg=AFQjCNFuobYxXCrdlGk74NFzXyBL8aRdVg&sig2=HmDPR0JwhkfuDclTZWg8HA&bvm=bv.69837884,d.ZWU&cad=rja

I'm reading this manual on polar aligning an EQ2 but i have a few questions, one thing that I don't understand right now is how doing this calibrates the movement of the motor, when i move the telescope its no longer in the perfect position to rotate in unison with the earth. How does this fix it to rotate in the right direction nomatter where i point it?

Could anyone give a better explanation than the manual by any chance? What is the DEC nob?

Look through the finderscope and centre Polaris on the crosshairs

Shouldn't i center it in the eyepiece?

Unlock the hinge
of the mount by gently pulling on the lock lever counterclockwise.
At the bottom of the head is a screw that pushes on a
tongue under the hinge, changing the angle. Spin this until your
latitude is shown on the scale by the indicator pin, then lock the
hinge (Fig.a).

Does anyone know specifically what part they are talking about? Is this for the latitude nob (up & down)?

You are aligning the mount, and it is the mount that rotates.

You move the scope where and how you want to locate an object but the mount remains rotating about the set up axis.

Need to seperate mount from scope in thinking.

It is easy to interchange mount for scope when talking or thinking about an EQ mount, and it is wrong the 2 remain seperate, or should remain seperate.

Link below is a PDF

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCoQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.langwoodsphotography.com%2Fdownloads%2FPolarAlignmentEQ1and2.pdf&ei=C5axU766EIbkOv7SgZAH&usg=AFQjCNFuobYxXCrdlGk74NFzXyBL8aRdVg&sig2=HmDPR0JwhkfuDclTZWg8HA&bvm=bv.69837884,d.ZWU&cad=rja

I'm reading this manual on polar aligning an EQ2 but i have a few questions, one thing that I don't understand right now is how doing this calibrates the movement of the motor, when i move the telescope its no longer in the perfect position to rotate in unison with the earth. How does this fix it to rotate in the right direction nomatter where i point it?

Could anyone give a better explanation than the manual by any chance? What is the DEC [removed word]?

Shouldn't i center it in the eyepiece?

Does anyone know specifically what part they are talking about? Is this for the latitude [removed word] (up & down)?

You are polar alignimg the mount not the telescope so the e.p./scope is irrelivent. Does an eq2 come with a polar scope? if it doesn't have one then you will need to drift align.

I've not got this mount but the up and down is alt (altitude) and the sideways is az (azumith)

But the dials are the parts that rotate, how is the mount supposed to be oriented, ie what part of it am i supposed to be pointing at the north pole, and with latitude of course there's only one way to change the vertical orientation, I'm supposed to rotate the vertical dial until the pointer is pointing to whatever my exact latitude is, right? and once that's in place if the mount is pointing due north, it will follow a correct trajectory across the sky, yeah?

Sorry for being so slow, I'm trying to get as much detail and specificity

Archived