Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help! HEQ5 Stripdown or Not!

Hi all

Attempting a stripdown of my used HEQ5. Don't really know the history so figured a stripdown and regrease would be a good idea.

I am stuck already on this bit of the DEC axis stripdown.

Unscrew and Remove the round 'nut' at the top of
the Declinationshaft. You can use either a pair of
Allen keys, two small Phillips drivers or a pair of
strong snipe nosed pliers as shown here.

This nut is really tight! I'm no weakling and I cannot shift it. Trying it with a pair of snipe nosed pliers, how you would do it with 2 small screw drivers i have no idea.

Any ideas anyone? I presume a standard thread, so anti-clockwise to unscrew.

Thanks

Well, just in case anyone is interested, I gave up on the DEC axis and decided to give the RA a try.

This went much more as expected, quite easy actually. Adjusting the worm engagement took ages but I think I have the best comprimise available.

Decided to give the DEC another go, still no budging it. So I had to make a tool with 2 4mm pegs to engage the nut. Success!!!

If anyone tries this and comes up against the same problem as I did something like this would do you...

post-36192-0-21739700-1403940494_thumb.j

Thanks for listening.

Oh and thanks to Astro_Baby for the illustrated guide, I never would have attempted this without it.

When I rebuilt my cg5 I noticed the grub screws actually damaged the thread making very awkward to get off.Had to make similar tool.It is important though because that component controls the amount of end float on that axis

Archived