Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How long will a Solar Telescope last?

Oortrageous

Sorry if this is a crazy question. A recent advert I've read on ABS listing an (admittedly old) solar scope comments that it needs re-coating. I've been seriously considering one of the upcoming Lunt 50's, and would be interested to hear the consensus on how long it would be (roughly ofc) before I'd have to expect to maintain it?

Cheers,

Ryan

Hi Ryan, I have had my PST for 7 years, before the internal ITF filter gave up working, and then I purchased a replacement from Maier Photonics, earlier this year. This made it even better than when new, better coatings !! I trust it will continue for many years to come. I hope this helps you decide, solar viewing is SO rewarding. All the best, John.

Thanks John. Sorry, a couple more questions though! How did you know the filter needed replacing? Is it just through general degradation of the quality of view (basically, is there any danger of eye damage if you hadn't carried out the work). Also if you don't mind me asking what were the cost implications? Cheers, Ryan.

Hello Ryan,

This is a very good question - my understanding is that all H-Alpha scopes are liable to oxidation.

So to minimize this I put the scope back in it's case after use with a desiccant cap in the diagonal. I also have around half a dozen desiccant sachets in the case around the OTA - the objective being to keep moisture away from the OTA.

It may or may not help - but I'm doing all I can and the sachets are very cheap.

Archived