NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Neq6/eqmod/Cartes du Ciel conflict

jaygpoo

Dear all,  I have been using myNeq6 pro mount with Eqmod and Cartes du ciel software with no problem for some time but due to a faulty cable I was forced to use the Neq6 handset with a link cable to my laptop and put the handset in pc mode. When aligning I was faced with the object moving out of view as it appears the tracking was not activated. I have not had to do anything before but I saw the CDC software was not tracking so I activated it. My concern is I now have a hand set that can set tracking on or off. A eqmod that has the same and also CDC so what is the protocal in this set up. as I want constant tracking without conflict .

Just think of the handset acting as the cable...

You'll still use CDC, which will still use the ASCOM driver, as will EQMOD.

The handset just translates the signals and passes to the mount - just don't use the handset :)

Thanks for reply but do you have to set tracking on in both eqmod and cdc ?

Just goto a target n cdc and EQMOD will automatically turn on tracking when the slew completes. I can't see any need to ever change the tracking state from within CDC but assuming this is achieved via ASCOM there should be no problems in doing that should you feel the need to do so.

When you use EQMOD you shouldn't use the handset - just put it in pc-direct mode and leave well alone.

Chris

Thanks Chris but the comment (leave well alone) is an interesting one as when using the set up discribed I use the hand set to move the mount when aligning but thats the only time I use it. Would that be a no no then?

Well using the handcontoller whilst running EQMOD is not something EQMOD is designed for ~ EQMOD is intended to by a handcontroller replacement (with gamepad) and expects to be in sole command of the mount. I would expect the same to be true for the handcontroller but skywatcher have never bothered to state exactly what pc-direct mode is for or inded what, if any, are its limitations. Some versions of hancontroller firmware will kill tracking if buttons are pressed whilst in pc-direct mode and whilst this may have been fixed with the current firmare it is a problem that has come back a few times over the years. Being totally in the dark with respect to how pc-direct works you will appreciate I cannot say what the worst case implications are.

Strictly speaking using pc-direct mode itself is operating EQMOD out of spec, using the handcontroller buttons take you even further out of spec. However, it is your mount and you may consider the convenience of using the handcontroller is such that you happy to run the risk.

Chris

Thanks again Chris for a very informed reply . I will take everything on board and throw the handset away. This is the second time that you have advised me on a ascom problem during my journey of discovery . Its not every software designer that takes the time to guide his flock on their way so many many thanks and hope we speak again at some point. Jay

Archived