NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newtonian Obstruction

Hello

I have a Celestron 130EQ. I'd like to find out if newts will always have the secondary mirror obstructing your pictures / videos if you attach a device afocally or prime?

I have tried both with a Canon A570 (lens is perma attached and cant be removed), cellphone and webcam. 

I'd like to know if its because these have lens attached that cause this, and a DSLR like a 600D, that you can remove the lens, if that will look passed the secondary mirror obstruction, similar to our eyes.

Tx guys.

If you are referring to the diffraction spikes associated with imaging with a Newtonian with a standard 4 vane spider you can install a curved  3 vane one to get rid of most of the pattern. In America here i get mine from 1800Destiny. Check it.

When you say the lens can't be removed what I think your really saying is you don't want to trash the camera modding it? I'm sure any camera can have its lens removed with enough effort ;)

At prime focus you shouldn't see the secondary mirror as such, you should see what the scopes pointing at. The only way you would see the mirror is if you have a lens on the camera but then that's not prime focus anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will need to focus the light in a different place to make that camera work, using an eyepiece, or use a camera/webcam without a lens built in.

The secondary will always be there.

Thnx I thought that the lens would be causing the secondary to be displayed.

Don't really want to take the lens off atm, until I know I can (or allowed) , and have a bracket to month with. 

If you are referring to the diffraction spikes associated with imaging with a Newtonian with a standard 4 vane spider you can install a curved  3 vane one to get rid of most of the pattern. In America here i get mine from 1800Destiny. Check it.

that is a great site, very interesting, how do they insulate 1 of the vanes anybody no ?

Archived