Pentax XL-14

Robny

Any good??

I plan to use it in a Lunt 60PT, I'm currently using Vixen NPL and Meade 4000 zoom eyepiece, will quality/clarity/relief and FOV be better with the Pentax? 

I have had a search and found lots about the XW's but not so much about the XL's, what is the main difference between them?

Many Thanks

Rob

XL`s where the predecessors of XW line.Unfortunately XL had issues with eye relief causing kidney beaning,where XW has  issue with the field curvature,but very generous eye relief. For the same money get Televue Delos instead.Alternative is get Baader mark 3 zoom EP. will give you the zoom option from 8-24mm with slightly less FOV of 60 degrees and will be a better replacement of your current Meade zoom EP.A few people are using it with great success on solar scopes.Not a solar expert,but i really doubt you will gain any better quality or clarity by upgrading to better eye pieces in solar scope,but Delos/pentax have the best eye relief currently available on market.

Hi,

A little bit about the XLs. they offer 65 degree FOV in the range versus 70 of the XW. I think, fairly sure, though not 100%  but form what I recall they have the same optical arrangement too in terms of number of elements and groups.  Both also offer the 20mm eye relief. Very comfortable to use I find is the 10.5 XL just like the XW  7mm I own.  

Any good for the sun ?, I have no idea.  There is not a massive deal between the XLs and XWs AFAIK, perhaps a similar sort of of comparison that is often made between ethos and nagler in the TV world (FOV aside ) with  a marginal Improvement, never gen. Not that I ever looked through a nagler or Ethos to know mind you but from what is often said.   The XL is basically the older XW and not to be confused with the XF range which have 60 degree FOV and  different design altogether. I think Michael Wilkinson used the pentax XF 8.5 for solar work and was happy with it from what I recall, so if it works the XL no doubt will perform just fine ads well I imagine.  

One of the main differences I think with the XW range pentax form what I recall is that pentax made some further improvement with coatings over the XLs as well as adding the extra 5 degrees.  All I can say I have the 10.5 XL and it is really good in my 10 inch Dob. and still consider it my best value buy at less than half price of a new XW that I put down for it :smiley:

edit:  As Dude says FC has been a criticism of the XLs but this is also the case with the XWs anyway. In the case of the longer than 10mm models the FC  is opposite to the < 10mm models. If you have a faster Newt such as I have the FC of the mirror makes this worse as well since it is additive in that case.  Some find it quite bad, some not so much to put with. It was one reasons that swayed me towards the Delos in the longer focal lengths and ended up buying the 14mm Delos instead to the XW, since FC rather annoys me, a little bit I can put up with though. I can't say how bad it would appear to my eyes since I never tried the 14mm XW.

Thank you both for your feedback, I Appreciate it.

So...If i would to get an eyepiece better than what I have which wasn't the Pentax XL what would you recommend?  This is what I'm looking for

No more than 150 used or new

Best FOV for full disc

Bright contrasty views able to resolve detail

To be used on a Lunt 60PT with a B1200

Thanks Again

with 60mm dia and focal length of 500mm you can go as low as 6.7mm Explore scientific 82 degree range and still have full disc with plenty of spare.ES range are very very good quality Ep`s,for a fraction of price of TV naglers. 

I have no idea of what type of eye pieces you like so i am based on the limited info i have.There are obviously EP`s with more narrow FOV and tighter eye relief in likes of Plossls or even orthoscopic eye pieces what are very sharp but also very narrow 43-45 deg FOV.

I hope someone who is dedicated Solar observer will chip in and give his opinion.

with 60mm dia and focal length of 500mm you can go as low as 6.7mm Explore scientific 82 degree range and still have full disc with plenty of spare.ES range are very very good quality Ep`s,for a fraction of price of TV naglers. 

I have no idea of what type of eye pieces you like so i am based on the limited info i have.There are obviously EP`s with more narrow FOV and tighter eye relief in likes of Plossls or even orthoscopic eye pieces what are very sharp but also very narrow 43-45 deg FOV.

I hope someone who is dedicated Solar observer will chip in and give his opinion.

Thank you, Im trying different ones at the moment so don't really have a lot of experience with any, I'm just finding my feet as it were.  But based on my current experience i would like something wit a little more eye relief, better constructed and i seem to get some internal reflections.  Im currently using Vixen NPL's mainly.

Many people go for the Baader zoom for Ha solar viewing.

Thanks Rik

I have trying out a zoom and i can't seem to get on with, I know the Baader zoom is probably much better than the one I have Meade 4000 zoom) but would prefer to stick with 'prime' eyepieces., eye relief is not enough to be comfortable for me.  One thing it has done for me though is highlighted what FL eyepiece i used most often which i why I'm willing to spend a bit extra on one.

Delos, XW, XL all offer 20mm eye relief, some get on better with one make in terms of comfort from what I've read, some better with others. I've only managed to use the 14mm Delos 3 times so far. Personally I find eye placement with the Delos  little bit more sensitive compared to both of my pentaxes towards blackouts, but it may be just getting used to it a bit more an finding the best setting. With both pentaxes I never have issues anymore, it is all about having the twist cup out far enough.  20mm is very generous amount of eye relief and will require the twist cup to be pretty much on the outer most setting, or very close to it without glasses, this is what I find anyway. 

Thanks again

I don't think I can stretch to Delos, can't real spend more the 150 GBP

I was considering, may be edging towards the Pentax XL again, I have seen one for a decent price used.  But I've been confusing myself as I like the look of the Vixen SLV's which are new and within my budget.  I will take a hit on FOV, but I'm lead to believe that FOV for solar is not much of an issue (it will only be used for solar).

I've tested the Vixen SLV's in 6mm, 12mm and 20mm focal length - report here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/217971-vixen-slv-eyepiece-report-6mm-12mm-and-20mm/

I feel they are very like Pentax XW's minus some of the FoV or, to put it another way, like Baader Genuine Orthos with a bit more FoV and lots more eye relief  :smiley:

At least one member here, Pig (Shaun) uses the SLV's for Solar viewing and is very happy with them. His other eyepieces are mainly Delos's I think.

Personally I highly rate the Pentax XW's and from Alex's comments above the older XL's are very good as well. Even better if you can get them for a nice price  :smiley:

I've tested the Vixen SLV's in 6mm, 12mm and 20mm focal length - report here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/217971-vixen-slv-eyepiece-report-6mm-12mm-and-20mm/

I feel they are very like Pentax XW's minus some of the FoV or, to put it another way, like Baader Genuine Orthos with a bit more FoV and lots more eye relief  :smiley:

At least one member here, Pig (Shaun) uses the SLV's for Solar viewing and is very happy with them. His other eyepieces are mainly Delos's I think.

Personally I highly rate the Pentax XW's and from Alex's comments above the older XL's are very good as well. Even better if you can get them for a nice price  :smiley:

Thank you

So..one more question

Given the choice between the Vixen SLV or Pentax XL which would you opt for?

I can get XL-14 for 140 GBP or the Vixen SLV new for around 90 GBP

Thank you

Don't forget the humble Radian. If you can get these second-hand they are excellent for solar H-alpha (had a 14mm for a while, and it was very nice and sharp). I have just replaced this, and my Pentax XF8.5 and a MaxVision 20mm by a William Optics 7.5-22.5 zoom. This has 18-19mm eye relief which is great (I also wear glasses). Much better than the Hyperion Zoom (at 12-15mm) or the Lunt/TS HR Planetary at 15 (which I found unusable with glasses). WO do not make them anymore, but they sell under various brand names, with the cheapest here:

http://www.robtics.nl/product_info.php?cPath=28_53&products_id=1217&pID=1217&language=en

TS also sells them

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p1933_Flatfield-Zoom-7-5mm-bis-22mm---1-25----8elementig.html

FOV may be smaller, than fixed focal lengths, but this EP is my only solar EP at the moment (in an LS35, at 400mm focal length)

Archived