Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing the Sun

I really want to have a go at observing the Sun, but there's no way I can afford a proper solar telescope, so currently my options are projection or a filter.

I have been taught how to use a telescope to project an image of the Sun, but that was on a refractor and I only have a reflector. Obviously it's a bit more impractical to use a reflector because of the position of the eyepiece, but other than that is there any other reason why I can't use one?

I've looked at those solar filters that you cut out and fit onto your scope, but this scares me a bit because I have no idea how to go about fixing it to my telescope. Could anyone recommend a trusted one that isn't going to blind me, and give brief instructions on how to use it?

Thanks  :smiley:

something like this is a good starting point http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/astrozap-baader-solar-filter.html
or you can make your own using using this http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/baader-astrosolar-safety-film-nd-50.html

I've seen people use a box over the end of the scope with the filter paper attached to the box
or if you have a scope that has a end d cap with the removable 2" aperture cap you can use this and tape the filter paper 
to the inside over the hole

Please don't even consider the projection method with a reflector - the secondary mirror may crack if you focus the Suns rays onto it.  A proper solar filter that goes over the "open" end of the scope is best.  If you contact a decent supplier (eg FLO  :cool: )  they will advise you on the correct size for your scope.  Making a holder from a sheet of Solar film, cardboard and sticky tape is perfectly feasable as long as you are careful.

Old Pink is spot on. That is the one I have on my Skywatcher 130 , fits perfect. ;)

Just a few safety notes. DO NOT REMOVE THE CAPS OFF YOUR FINDER SCOPE . Unless you take it off comoletely so your not tempted to look through it.

I always fit the filter with the scope pointing well away from the sun. Take Care, it great when you see Sunspots for the first time . But remember the dangers. :)

Archived