Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Prime Focus stuff.

thing

I have a loan of my Dad's Minolta Dynax 7D autofocus and am going to get the adapters to fit to my C8-N. I know zilch about this subject so if anyone could be kind enough to help....

1. What magnification will I get at prime focus?

2. Is it possible to use a DSLR with an eyepiece to alter the magnification and if so what adapters do I need?

3. i have a Nikon Coolpix 5300, I notice you can get adapters for these for 20 odd quid from David Hinds, are these cameras any good for imaging?

Thanks in advance fo any replies.

Hi. Thing.

Your dad's DSLR Camera is fine for astrophotography. You would be better using it in prime focus configuration, so you would need a T Mount for that particular model. I am assuming the camera lens is removable, so be careful when you do so. It is your dads after all.

You would also need a nosepiece to attach to the T Mount also, that will enable you to attach the camera to your scope.

Your telescope then becomes a huge lens for the camera.

As for the Nikon Coolpix, I see no reason why it cannot be attached by a bracket to the scope, and carefully lining it's lens up with the eyepiece in your scope. Make sure the lens zoom is not going to collide with the eyepiece. I would use it in non zoom mode until you get familiar with its use. A few guys on SGL manage to get great pics just by hand held cameras to the eyepiece. This will only work on the moon.

I believe also, that that model of camera has something called D Technology. That brightens up dark exposures automatically, I am not sure if that would be a drawback when shooting an astro pic.

Good Luck Mate.

Ron. :D

Archived