NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sort of astro photos...

Hello,

I have been toying with the idea of doing some astro photos. However, I don't want to part with the dob, so it will be a while (to save up). Last night I thought I would have a change from just visual so decided to take a couple of pics with my camera through the eyepiece. The first thing I noticed was that Saturn may look bright in the ep but the camera doesn't  see it that way! ISO 3200, f2.8  60th of a second  through an 8mm ep and you could just about see it on the photo (and still very small at that). Anyway, after about an hour and a half of taking the same pics over and over in the hope they may come out better I called it a night. It seems that astrophotography is time consuming, frustrating and very addictive!  Here is a little montage of some single exposures I took. I've got more to go through so will see if any have come out better.

post-4165-0-20489000-1402063701_thumb.jp

I think they are great efforts. The Saturn especially good considering it is just a single image.

Most planetary (and even lunar ) imagers usually collect thousands of images by way of recording a video and then stacking them before performing quite complex processing.

You have done extremely well here for your first attempts.

I look forward to following your progress. Well done Bish

Steve

Thanks Steve. My back aches a bit from hovering over the ep with my camera, but it was nice to see a recognisable image on the camera screen. I've had to tweak and blow them up in photoshop.

You could always just unmount the Dob and mount rings on it. Then use either a losmandy or dovetail bar with a tracking mount. Works great. After all it's actually a newt just on a dob base right? Right.

You could always just unmount the Dob and mount rings on it. Then use either a losmandy or dovetail bar with a tracking mount. Works great. After all it's actually a newt just on a dob base right? Right.

Hi. Yes, it is something I have thought about. I may be wrong but think it would probably need an EQ6 for imaging. perhaps get away with an HEQ5 for a webcam?  Involves some saving up!

Archived