Looking in to buying a new telescope

Greetings,

I'm new around here and I really hope you do not mind another one of these threads. I'm 29 years old guy from small country of Slovenia and recently I discovered that getting in to the hobby of astronomy is really not that expensive. I'm a hobby photographer (leakingdarkroom.com) so knowing prices of lenses it never really crossed my mind that telescopes for the night sky were so in reach all this time. As I'm waiting for the NightWatch: A Practical Guide to Viewing the Universe to be delivered I've been looking in to the best way to view the night sky with my limited budget. So I came here hoping that you guys'n'girls will help me make up my mind.

My budget is between 200-300€ and I'm looking to buy a Newton reflector, most likely a dobson, between 130 and 150mm. I'm want the telescope to be as easy to use as possible and portable enough to fit in to my car. At this point I'm not looking to get in to astrophotography since that seems to be a bit more expensive option. From reading threads around here, Skywatcher and Orion telescopes seem to be receiving high praise.

Telescopes I'm thorn between:
-Skywatcher Telescope N 130/650 Explorer EQ-2 249€ - is EQ-2 mount sturdy enough for a telescope of this size? And why don't they make any other 130mm telescope as dobson other than Heritage FlexTube?
-Orion Telescope N 130/650 SpaceProbe EQ-2 270€

-Skywatcher Dobson telescope N 150/1200 Skyliner Classic DOB 265€
-Orion Dobson telescope N 150/750 StarBlast 6 DOB 280€ - I'm leaning towards this one the most. 150mm, only 750mm in length

I'm worried that EQ-2 mount is not good enough for 130/650? Regarding the last two dobsons, I'm worried that 1.2m tube is just too much hassle, but than again with 750mm one I'll need to pack a table. Maybe in the end, 150/1200 is the way to go? If so, what's the difference between Orion's and Skywatcher's 150/1200 dobson?

Thank you for any kind of help.

Kind regards,

Dino

PS: Here's the result of my pointing the camera towards the night sky for the 1st time.

Hi, as you told us, you are a photographer.

Someday, not too far from now you will want to take pictures of the sky. For this reason you should have a scope with at least 8" (200mm)

And, none of this is portable and cheap. Depending on the kind of astrophotography you will chase (planetary or deep sky objects) the scopes should be different in setups.

A DOB scope is alt-azimutal and can manage to take photos of the planets but sure you will need a equatorial mount for take pictures of the deep sky.

My advice?? Save a little more and buy a scope that will glad you/ fit your needs for at least 3 years.

I would go for a celestron equipaments.

Although it is possible, I don't think I'd get an 8" 'scope for astro-photography. If that's likely to be your thing, then you're talking about a different set up altogether and at a lot more money.

Yep, the EQ2 mounts are a little flimsy by all accounts. There won't be much difference between the Orion and the Skywatcher and either would be a great introduction to astronomy.  :smiley:

Astrophotography is out of the question - for now. I just want to have good experience with visual sky exploration. I'm leaning towards Skywatcher Telescope N 130/650 Explorer EQ-2 since Astroshop.eu was kind enough to price match FLO's price of 202€. That leaves room for some accessories like Orion Moon Filter, 25% Transmission, 1,25" and Skywatcher Collimation eyepiece 1,25" or Skywatcher Deluxe 1.25", 2X Barlow eyepiece if collimation tools are not required when starting out. More than happy with the price and I think this set up would be more then enough to get my feet wet with astronomy.

Heya Dino and welcome.

If would personally go for the biggest aperture I could afford (6" and 8" goes into any car).

I would recommend you to wait a bit before buying a moonfilter, maybe you dont need it.

I never use filter observing the moon (using 8" scope), while other people prefer a filter.

Rune

Hello and welcome. Just to add a couple of things.

The optics in the Orion USA scopes and Skywatcher range are of the same quality and come out of the same factory, so the difference will be in the build, the tube and mounts and the extras on it.  As for the Dobsonian choice, I would say the longer one (SW)  does have some advantages in a way, it will be able to accept 2 inch eyepieces if you ever want to get them.  The Orion ( I think ) has the a focuser setup that only accept 1.25 inch eyepieces. 

The longer focal length SW means it will be somewhat more forgiving on cheaper eyepieces too, and also  bit more suitable as a planetary and double star scope, though both will work fine for both deep sky and planets, double stars with a selection of eyepieces in the appropriate focal length.  On the other hand the shorter Orion,  given the same focal length eyepiece will show a larger sky area at a lower magnification with the same eyepiece, a bit more leaning towards wide field and deep sky work.

The 6 inch Skywather you wil be able to put on the ground and use a seat to observe very comfortably. The Orion will need a chair or table. that being said I use a small table top scope as well,  and use a chair, table or sit on the ground with it often and find it fine, though admittedly that is not as comfy if you are looking for a long time at an object when sitting on a seat that I use with my bigger Dob.

Go with the Skywatcher Telescope N 130/650 Explorer EQ-2 and forget about the collimator for the moment.  If you get on with this then you can start thinking about adding on other items and/or upgrading - when you can afford it.

Thank you all for taking your time to answer my questions. I've been taking my time as well, book arrived couple of days a go (NightWatch) and I'm truly enjoying reading it and learning about the night sky. Since soon I'll be leaving for short vacation, I'm in no rush to order a scope, though I was pretty close :)

I really can't argue against Skywatcher Skyliner 150 (6"), other than it's size. Thing looks huge in photos and I bet it looks even bigger in person. So that's the only off-putting thing about it. I'm afraid that because of size I wouldn't be using it as often as I could. And Orion StarBlast 6 has plastic focuser (vs Crayford focuser) and costs more than Skyliner, but it's shorter and thus more portable... but I'll need a table. Dammit, I might be overthinking it :p

Archived