Using two 28mm finetuning rings with a Baader Hyperion?

I have a 5mm Hyperion and I thought I´d try the tuning rings and see what kind of result I can get.

Since both the 28 and 14mm tuning rings can be used at the same time I was just wondering what would happen with two 28mm rings. If it´s even possible to get a picture with that combination. 

That way there would be no barlows/extenders in the light path.

I mean sometimes It´s fun to have ridiculous magnification even though the quality suffers a bit. 

I have a Sky watcher 200p (blue tube) on a HEQ5 mount and last night I thought I´d try ~800x magnification on saturn with the 5mm baader and a 4x barlow (~1.25mm "eyepiece"). That´s about twice the "recommended maximum" for the OTA.

One would think I wouldn´t get anything watcheable at all but I found the result interesting. I kind of got more detail on the rings and the planet that way even though the focus wasn´t all that great.

So what do you think. Would the baader technically work with two 28mm rings?

Technically, tt will work - moving the lower lens set further away from the upper one will increase the magnification further. 800x is mostly "empty" magnification though. The most I've used with my 12" dob (which has excellent optics) is around 550x.

Magnification is not the most important thing - clarity, resolution and contrast are more important and often a little less magnification gives you the best of those.

I agree. I normally prefer a lower magnification also because of the above mentioned reasons, but sometimes it´s fun to go a little "wild" with the magnification just to try things out. :)

I´ll probably order 2 of the 28mm rings along with the 14mm and 43mm/T2-ring and experiment a little...   

Thats true - it's a hobby after all so it's good to have some fun with it  :smiley:

I have a 3mm eyepiece and a 2x Powermate so I could use those to get just over 1000x with my 12" dobsonian - that would make nudging fun  :grin:

Archived