NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SkyWatcher Equinox 80mm

Hi to all. I am interested in acquiring a Sky Watcher Equinox 80mm with the FPL53 objective and the Schott glass. Unfortunately, for some reason this telescope is not sold in North America (USA or Canada). I contacted FLO, bout they say they are unable to ship this specific telescope to my locality (Puerto Rico, USA) . They did not explain the reason. I am contacting Telescope Express (Teleskop-Express) to inquire if they will ship, but I have the gut feeling that they will say no too. Does anyone know why this particular telescope can not be shipped to North America from UK or Europe? Does anyone know which firm can I contact that will make the shipment? (recognized and accredited firm, of course).

Thanks for any help you can provide me.

FLO could probably explain better but as I understand certain manufacturers effectively licence retailers to sell only in defined geographic regions. It is form of protection to the retailers so customers cannot arbitrage currency differences etc. skywatcher telescopes are sold in the US but some are known by different names so are you sure it is not available domestically?

I just took a look at the Skywatcher USA website and you are right it is not listed which is shocking.  Why they would not sell a product that is very good is curious to say the least.  However Skywatcher Canada do list it (http://ca.skywatcher.com/_english/01_products/02_detail.php?sid=368) so perhaps you can speak to them or have Skywatcher USA help you out.

Hi all. Thanks for your responses. First, no it is not available locally. SkyWatcher USA does not distribute or sell it. Second, SkyWarcher Canada has it listed on their web page, but I sent them an email and they answered that they are not distributing or selling this telescope (strange, isn't it?). I am waiting for Teleskop-Express answer. I just noted that there are other UK sellers (like 365 astronomy) and will contact them. Let's see if I have luck this time.

Yes ,Matthew, it is very strange that SW USA does not sell this APO. It has been one of the great successes of SW for many years, and now they are using FLP53 and Schott glass.

I do have two SW, one Esprit 80mm and one 120mm, in addition to a WO FLP98. I am using them for observation up to now, but I have almost completed the acquisition of astrophotography equipment.  I want the Equinox as a starter with a DSLR (unmodified) as I think this system will be more forgiving than the other telescopes with CCD cameras. BTW, getting the two Esprits was an adventure too. Initially, SW USA said that they were not able to ship to my locality and it required contacting SW USA management to get them to ship the product (I am in the USA!!!).

Let's see what the other resellers say. I hope they will be able to ship.

In fact, this is strange indeed. If I were traveling within the UK (I lived in London for 8 and a half years, working for a multinational company) I could buy the telescope and ship it from there to my home address. But the retailer can't ship it to me directly. Does not make sense.

I shall keep you all posted as to the development of my SW Equinox 80 search.

Hi all. Thanks for your responses. First, no it is not available locally. SkyWatcher USA does not distribute or sell it. Second, SkyWarcher Canada has it listed on their web page, but I sent them an email and they answered that they are not distributing or selling this telescope (strange, isn't it?). I am waiting for Teleskop-Express answer. I just noted that there are other UK sellers (like 365 astronomy) and will contact them. Let's see if I have luck this time.

Yes ,Matthew, it is very strange that SW USA does not sell this APO. It has been one of the great successes of SW for many years, and now they are using FLP53 and Schott glass.

I do have two SW, one Esprit 80mm and one 120mm, in addition to a WO FLP98. I am using them for observation up to now, but I have almost completed the acquisition of astrophotography equipment.  I want the Equinox as a starter with a DSLR (unmodified) as I think this system will be more forgiving than the other telescopes with CCD cameras. BTW, getting the two Esprits was an adventure too. Initially, SW USA said that they were not able to ship to my locality and it required contacting SW USA management to get them to ship the product (I am in the USA!!!).

Let's see what the other resellers say. I hope they will be able to ship.

In fact, this is strange indeed. If I were traveling within the UK (I lived in London for 8 and a half years, working for a multinational company) I could buy the telescope and ship it from there to my home address. But the retailer can't ship it to me directly. Does not make sense.

I shall keep you all posted as to the development of my SW Equinox 80 search.

I think that in the US,  Orion USA have the licence or dealership or similar, the scope is sold badged as Orion Eon Apo. Here is a link.

http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Refractor-Telescopes/Refractor-Optical-Tube-Assemblies/Orion-EON-80mm-f625-ED-Apochromatic-Refractor-Telescope/pc/1/c/10/sc/346/p/99617.uts

Hope this helps.

Regards,

A.G

Yes, it's true. Orion has it under the Orion brand. However, the web page says "not available" where the price should be. Most unfortunate. Hmmm... What is going on with this particular telescope? Is it that it is too good and presents a challenge to other more expensive SW/Orion products? The search continues.

Yes, the Esprit 80 is excellent, but I have two friends using the Equinox 80 and it seems that it is more forgiving for a person starting imaging than the Esprit 80. BTW, they bought their Equinox during a trip to the UK. They bought them there and shipped them back home.

I bought mine second hand in the states. How it got there I don't know. I also dont see how it would be more forgiving. Equinox is a doublet and will suffer as all doublets do, just less so than most doublets. Have you yourself tried imaging with your friends Equinox and your Espirit yet? If you havent I would see if you can borrow your friend Equinox and try it out with your equipment yourself. Then try with the same equipment on your Espirit.

Hi to all: Good news. Teleskop Express has it and they will be quoting including shipping. I shall keep you all informed.

You should include a FF in the quote - you will need it if you're going to be imaging with this scope. Currently mine makes a very fine guidescope but as soon as I can get hold of a suitable FF (FLO sells them) I will try some WF imaging with it too.

ChrisH

Edit: That's your fault. Now I just bought the FF off FLO...  :)

Hi to all: After contacting Telescope Service and seeing their line of refractors I have decided to order a TS APO65Q instead of the SW 80 ED. I have read a lot of positive reviews on this small APO and tenAstronomy Shed review on YouTube. In addition I have seen several very good to excellent photos with this telescope. I shall keep all of you posted on the developments.

Archived