Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Beginner question re: deep sky imaging

Hi all,

Last night I tried imaging M44 with my 102mm refractor and Nikon D90 camera. The trouble is that I couldn't see M44 at all through the viewfinder. I knew I was in focus and in the right place because I zeroed it using an eyepiece and then swapped out for the camera, then took some test shots that confirmed I was in the right place. (And, incidentally, made it very clear why a tracking mount is needed!) So my question is, should it be possible to look through the camera viewfinder and see a deep sky object? If not, what's the best way to know you're looking in the right direction?

Thanks,

- Lee

it depends on the Object you are trying to image, the viewing conditions and the amount of LP

some you can see in the viewfinder / screen others you will not, esp if you have heavy LP

generally I use test shots of about 10 - 20 seconds to see if I'm on target as I tend to focus on a nearby bright star then move to the target and fine tune from there

Most DSO's are too faint to be seen in the viewfinder which is a pain... if your lucky you can see some stars that can help you locate the DSO and frame the picture. Or use test shots like Sub Dwarf mentioned.

The pro's usually combine a go-to mount with blind plate-solving software like astro-tortilla to home in on the target.

I use a laptop or PC with a program like CDC or Stellarium to give me a basic pointing. I then use liveview  using APT or BYE and my mounts included software and  ascom driver. It has a 4 way control with slewing speeds to "nudge" the mount into the right composition for the object being imaged that night and then take some test shots at a high iso to see if it's centered or not.

I have a permanent setup and use CdC and EQMOD.

Once I have synched 2 or three bright stars most objects are pretty much near the centre of the Canon frame.

If it's a bright object I can normally see it in the finder/guider, with PHD and can adjust position with an Xbox controller.

I've found using a Xbox controller is a very useful addition to my setup

really good for fine tuning the position of the target rather than the on screen controls

wait what? xbox controller. what do you use a xbox controller for? and how do you set it up. newbie here asking newbie questions :grin:

You do need a good GoTo Mount and if you can run EQMon, this will allow precise positioning on DSO's you can't see, further down the road i use a lodestar in a finder scope, the Software for guiding PHD has a screen to display stars to guide on, you can also use this screen to centre invisible DSO's it not cheap but don't try to buy it all in one go, learn a bit then inprove you kit......

Archived