Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

May 26, 2014: Hazy solar lunch with Radian 14mm first light

Just popped out briefly to have a look at the sun in H-alpha, despite persistent hazy cloud cover. I had just got my 14mm Radian as a bit of a stop-gap in my solar line-up between 20mm and 10mm. The Radian 14 did well in these condition, showing more detail than the 20mm, but keeping better contrast than the 10mm. I did not see many proms, but an AR on the western limb showed up very nice bright and dark detail, with filaments showing up in "3D" as the cross the limb. Dead centre another large AR showed quite some filaments. There were some proms, but haze prevented me seeing much.

Still, the Radian works nicely, with comfortable eye relief, and as crisp images as could be expected under these conditions.

Nice report, Michael, you might have to be our eyes for today! Clouded out, here.

We do a lot of solar viewing with our 8mm Radian, what's your longer term eyepiece plan if the 14mm's a temporary solution?

Nice report, Michael, you might have to be our eyes for today! Clouded out, here.

We do a lot of solar viewing with our 8mm Radian, what's your longer term eyepiece plan if the 14mm's a temporary solution?

I think I might have a nice set of Radians to cover the shorter focal lengths (10 and 12, and perhaps even 8)

I did notice the Radian's point of focus is very far from the XFs. I am now leaning towards getting Radians for solar, rather than mixing XFs and Radians. It would be a bit odd to have sold the Radian 8mm to get an XF8.5, and then to reverse that decision. Wouldn't be the first to buy EPs you once sold

Archived