Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mercury, Comet C/2012 K1 and Doubles in Hercules

I made the decision to hunt down Mercury to be followed by the Comet which was nicely placed in Ursa Major. I thought some Doubles in Hercules would end the night.

I used my 4" Astro Tech APO to hunt down Mercury and with the help of my 20x80 binos soon found the Planet. I used my Baader zoom with the matching barlow which allows me to go to 202x. Mercury could have been sharper but you could make out the phase. I watched the Planet until it went behind a distant tree.

Over to Psi Ursa Major to view the Comet and initially I could see the surrounding stars but the Comet was too faint. Decided to view some doubles in Hercules using Nick's (Cotterless 45) lists of doubles. So armed with Nick's list plus the Cambridge Doubles Atlas and Sissy Haas's book on doubles as a cross reference went looking. I viewed the following doubles kappa Herculis, STF 2063, STF 2085, STF 2142 , STF 2135 and finally Rasalgethi.

It was now becoming reasonably dark so replaced the Baader zoom with Ethos EPs. In the 8mm Ethos the Comet c/2012 K1 (Panstarrs) was very clear nicely surrounded by two sets of wide doubles - I could make out an extension coming from the Head. I also used my 20x80 binos and again was able to detect the Comet but to be honest I would not have seen it if I did not know its exact position.

Ended the night having a view of Saturn although to view Planets I prefer my 180mm Mak/Cass with binoviewers.

Archived