Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astrophotography - A bit confused

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy my first camera and I'm a bit confused. Am i right in saying that you remove the lens then fit the T-adapter when you attach it to the scope?

If so is it worth looking for a "body only" deal on ebay on a 350D or something similar? :D

Many thanks,

Jay

Hello Jay,

A body is sufficient if you want to save money. You can attach a T Adaptor and then a nosepiece to allow you to insert the camera into the telescope draw tube. This can be 1.25" or 2" depending on the drawtube on your scope. Doing this, will let you use the scopew as a lens, and the image formed bt the scopes lens or mirror is focused directly onto the cameras Chip. This is much the more popular configuration.

Another way, is to introduce an eyepiece into the system, and that gives you eyepiece projection.

The third option, is the Afocal configuration, but that requires the camera to have a lens fitted. The Afocal setup, is generally used for high resolution Lunar or planetary imaging. This can also be achieved without the Afocal method, by the use of a 5x Imagemate or Barlow.

So, to sum up. You do not need to have a lens with the camera, but if you want to use it as a normal camera for terrestial photography, then a lens will be required.

I hope I have covered most options for you.

Ron. :D

Thats great thank you very much :D

I have a camera for lunar, planetary and daytime use, which I setup a-focally, but its not suitable for DSO's. I always try and save as much as I can, as there's always another filter / eyepiece etc that can be bought instead! :hello1:

Hi Jay,

There are several ways of mounting a camera to a telescope.

"Prime Focus" is when you attach the camera directly without the lens to the telescope usually with a T-adaptor and is probably the way most people do it, basically your telescope becomes the camera lens (as in the attached picture).

"Afocal" is when you take a picture through the eyepiece of the telescope with the camera and lens attached, this can be hand held or with the camera attached using a special bracket to keep it steady, it is very difficult to hand hold, another method is to use adaptor rings to connect the camera with lens attached to the telescope eyepiece (this method is possible with some eyepieces notably Baader Hyperion eyepieces).

If buying a 350D, it would be better to buy it with the kit lens as then you will be able to use it for normal photography (the cost difference is minimal anyway), you can get really nice widefield images using this lens with exposures up to 30 seconds.

Hope this helps

Brendan

Thats great thank you very much :D

I have a camera for lunar, planetary and daytime use, which I setup a-focally, but its not suitable for DSO's. I always try and save as much as I can, as there's always another filter / eyepiece etc that can be bought instead! :hello1:

Quite right too, one has to spin the money out as best we can. Everything is so blooming expensive.

Only buy if you really need it. I say.

:D

Thanks for the help both of you :D

I've ordered all the kit from David Hinds today and just on the prowl from the camera now. Hard to decide between them and First Light as they both seem todo so much for the community, but they had the motor drive in so went with them. Sure Ill be back when I mod the camera and get more kit so Ill have to swap between the two lol.

Thanks again!

Archived