NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Light Pollution or Clear Sky filter?

Hi all,

I'm considering getting a light pollution filter to help with my city-based visual and astrophoto adventures, and have come across two options that suit my tighter-than-I'd-like budget:

I'm not too sure what the difference is between the two. Could anybody help clarify?

Thanks!

-Lee

They filter out different patterns of wavelengths of light. I think the LPR is intended more for nebulae as it has improved Ha and other wavelength transmission whereas the clear sky filter is more general purpose. It has a deeper and wider cut across 500 to 600 nm which is where a lot of the light pollution lives.

Check for some before and after shots on the interweb, should help you get a feel for it.

I would lean towards the clear sky for general purpose but the LPR for imaging nebulae. Never used the deep sky filter but looks like it might help a little with blue fringing if it bothers you in the ST102.

cheers

Thanks for the advice. I've ordered a Clear Sky Filter... fingers crossed it works well!

Oddly enough, I was just thinking about ordering one of these myself so would be very interested to hear how it works out for you.

• 1 month later...

Archived