Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dob on a mount

Hi guys.

Would like to know if in the future I could put my 200p dob scope on to some sort of tracking mount?

It might be a silly question to some but I have no idea if it can be done. Just thinking that if it can and I come across a reasonable priced secondhand mount then I could have the best of both worlds!

Thanks in advance

if you put rings on it it can be attached to an eq mount. At a push for visual an eq5 or cg5gt. bigger would be better. For imaging, at a push heq5 or celestron vx.   eq6  or cgem would be better.

HI, you can buy equatorial tracking platforms for dob's. They allow the scope to track a target for about 1 hour, I have one and did a review here   :smiley:   http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/204807-the-watch-house-equatorial-platform/

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p5419_Dobsonian-EQ-platform-1---tracking-for-Your-dobsonian-up-to-60kg.html

Hi Mr lightyear (can't believe that name hasn't been snapped up already ;) ). 

As mentioned, there are two options, The tracking platform for the dob or putting the tube on an eq mount (on a tripod). If it's for visual, both would work although I might go for the platform and retain the comfort and ease of using the dob. If you intend on doing deep space imaging, then the tripod mounted eq (driven) is really the only option.

HTH :D

Thanks guys.

It would be mainly for when family and kids want to use the scope as they struggle to keep targets in the FOV.

I personally get on great with the Dob but it's handy to know it can be mounted and track either way.

I'll have a good look into it.

Thanks again

Archived