Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Upgrading focuser on old model Skywatcher 200P

Hey guys,

my Skywatcher 200P is of the old blue tube model variant. It has a R&P focuser at the moment, I have both the Skywatcher Auto-focuser and hitecastro DC focus motor fitted, which work great for PC control focus changes.

I've managed pretty well with the current focuser, however it has quite an annoying amount of slop when I change the focus, I'd also like something I know is exactly aligned for colimation.

Is there some reasonably priced focuser with zero slop I can fit to the old model telescope tube, that is compatible with both the SW autofocuser and  Hitecastro DC focus motor?

Looking forward to your replies & advice. :)

I don't know for sure that it's compatible with your autofocuser, but there's a Skywatcher crayford focuser on the Astro Boot at the moment for £45. It might be a decent upgrade for not much cash.

It's about a third of the way down.

James.

Thanks! I need to get into buying used astro equipment, seems like many good deals are around to be made.

I'll research some more, it's pretty vital that I can keep using the auto-focuser & DC motor, controlling the focuser from the laptop or with my gamepad is just too convenient. :)

Hi Amra,

This one will do what you need and can be used with the autofocuser and motor.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-focusers/dual-speed-crayford-1252-inch-focuser-for-skywatcher-explorer.html

It is the focuser fitted to the SW 200 PDS models and is ideal for astrophotography use as well.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards.

Sandy. :grin:

Thanks Lonestar, I found this video that describes how to install it, I think it's the exact same focuser.

I think I'm going to go ahead with the PDS focuser, it's not that an expensive upgrade. :)

• 5 weeks later...

The focuser has arrived. It doesn't fit my tube precisely but I can cut it out to fit.

Unfortunately I ran into a problem, a part is missing from my autofocuser, the one he points on here in the video, it's been removed by the previous owner of the motor to fit the crappy R&P focuser: http://youtu.be/gpIteLt3xcw?t=7m55s

I have no idea where it is, I don't know where the bracket plate for refractors is either, but that's not a big deal.

I don't know how I'll get ahold of this part, I might be forced to buy a new autofocuser. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I posted a wanted advert in the classifieds and SGL member Stevp came through with all the parts I was missing to fit the autofocuser, big thanks to him, gotta love the SGL community! :)

I cut out a bigger hole for the focuser in the tube, which was relatively easy & assembed everything, I flocked the focuser tube and turned the focuser around so the autofocuser won't stick out in front of the OTA and I wanted the 'in' & 'out' commands to turn the focuser correctly, which they do in this configuration, and I won't be using manual control ever anyway. 

The hitecastro focus unit will let me control the auto focuser from the PC, which is great.

The only thing that looks a bit out of place now is the colour of the focuser, I guess I could spray paint it black, but I'm not too bothered!

post-28221-0-63541200-1404153305_thumb.j

Archived