NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What to do with a Celestron Travel Scope 70?

Hi all, I’ve got a travel scope 70, which I haven’t used since getting some 15x70 bins, as the CA is terrible & even when used with a photo tripod, it is still prone to vibration.

So far my ideas for the scope are:

1. Keep it for a guider scope to use with my 150p, when funds allow me to buy a HEQ5.

2. Buy some solar film & turn it into a cheap white light solar scope.

3. Turn it into a novelty thermos. :-P

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers

Hi Stu.  You could get a better tripod, I've seen the supplied one and know how flimsy it is.  

As a low power wide field scope, should be fine on large and less bright objects where the CA is not nearly as bad.

Would be good with some Baader solar film as you mention, at modest powers will give a nice view of sunspots.

Would make a great finder for a larger scope.

I think the trick with these short focus achromats is to use them where they work best, low power / wide field, and great for taking on holiday as it won't take up much space.

I think they are worth having, and from a dark site may well surprise.

Regards, Ed.

Makes a great guide scope, though you will need a 75-100mm extension tube to use without the diagonal.     The dew shield is also a little short, so a little extension shield is useful in damper conditions.

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll keep it for a guide scope, as at low mag with my 25mm ep, the scope gives me 16x mag, which is only 1x more than my bins & the bins are more portable, as I can use them hand held & they work well on my photo tripod.

Has anyone had experience of attaching a travel scope, to a larger scope?

Archived