NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A few beginner problems/questions with EQ2 mount observing

Hey guys,

Recently got my first telescope, a Skywatcher Explorer 130mm Newtonian reflector with EQ2 mount and motor drive.

1) I understand I need to polar align the mount, I have the altitude set to 51 and I guess all I have to do is line up the R|A with Polaris (or the direction I know is north)?

2) The problem is I can only see a small part of the sky like this and if I want to turn any more than 30 degrees or so I have to unscrew it or turn the whole tripod around (thus ruining the polar alignment)

and I also find I have to adjust the counterweight every time I move a little as it becomes unbalanced

3) This may be a stupid question but how do I view the stars directly above me? The telescope won't stay in that position and I would need my head near the floor to use my viewfinder to look directly up.

I really enjoy getting a good view but these things are ruining my experience as I'm spending more time trying to move the mount and make the scope stay still than anything else

I'm not using the motor drive at the moment so I have 2 things to turn to adjust my view, the problem is they are really awkward to reach when I'm looking through the lens and if I pull it close to me the whole scope moves way out of position

And finally... when I do actually get everything lined up, my view of anything other the moon so far is a tiny ball of mixed colours. e.g. Tried to view Mars last night through my 10mm with Barlow 2x and the point where it's actually focused, Mars looks tiny and just a little blob of blue and orange, and surprisingly, Jupiter looks the same, If i turn my focus at all either way, I start getting the lines in the way and no longer see any colour

Sorry for all the questions, just hoping to get some things out of the way before tonight and you guys were very helpful last time I posted!

Thanks in advance,

Craig

Hi Craig can I suggest you take a quick picture of your set up. It may help us decide where your issues are. The lack of responses may be a result of folk trying to get to grips with your scenario. Thanks.

Hi Craig.  Once the scope is set up, balanced, and approximately polar aligned, you should be able to access any part of the sky, and follow your desired object by just using the Right Ascension control, and without realignment.

The scope needs to be balanced in two directions - the tube lengthways within the tube rings, and then by using the counterweight on its shaft.

Using many finders with the scope pointing overhead is a common problem, none of has a double jointed neck  :smiley: what I do is to kneel on the ground and twist my neck to look through my finder, not easy I know.   Some use a right angle finder to sort that.

The poor views could be collimation, try viewing a bright star at high power, with the star in the centre of the field of view, defocus, if the image is a series of concentric rings you should be ok, if skewed to one side, could need adjustment - but please don't adjust anything until you are certain it needs it.

How about contacting a local club for first hand advice - most are happy to help.  At my club we have no problem with people turning up for advice, and no pressure to join up.

Hope you sort it, Ed.

Thanks guys, I did try to take a picture but none of them are very clear and I didn't feel they'd be helpful at all. This is the telescope I have though http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41AmlP2drhL.jpg

Thanks for the advice Ed, the tube is balanced on the tube rings. Is it normal to have to adjust the counterweight quite often? Or should it be the same most of the time?

I'll check out the collimation next time the sky is clear, as for being able to view anywhere without moving the tripod, I have to put it in a very awkward position to see anything that isn't in the right direction, often resulting in the lens being on the bottom and the counterweight pulling the tube upright against me.

I did have a look before about clubs and the only one near me is WOLAS, but it's still a long way to go and I think I'd have to become a member first

Hi again Craig.   Once the counterweight is in the correct position for balance, you shouldn't need to move it, unless you add or remove anything from the scope, like changing from a very light eyepiece to one that's a great deal heavier.  No need to be too fussy with that, a minor difference in weight can be ignored.

One of the problems when using a Newtonian on an EQ mount, is that when viewing in some parts of the sky, you can end up with the eyepiece in an inconvenient position. If that happens, you need to rotate the tube within the rings. Some white tape on the tube can help to show the balance point, so you don't shift the tube lengthwise and lose balance. Again, no need to be hyper fussy, a few millimeters can be ignored.

Have you actually contacted WOLAS, regarding help ?

Sometimes the tube may contact the tripod leg.  The procedure to sort that is known as the 'meridian flip'.  I'll try to come back with a link.

Edit - link here http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/131685-meridian-flip/  haven't fully read that, but hope it helps.  Just do a search  "equatorial mount meridian flip" you will get lots of hits.

Sorry, need to get my kip, I'll check back here tomorrow  :smiley:

Regards, Ed.

I have the same mount on the Evostar 90. As a beginner I found it strange at first, now its second nature.

one thing that got me first time out was after balancing and polar aligning and then loosening both clutches to swivel to an object finding the clutch knobs was then a fiddle in the dark. Work through this in daylight http://www.tejraj.com/GENERAL_EQ1and2.pdf and then have a go in the dark. If I am correct you may not be swivelling to an object by loosening both clutches first.

Stick with it once sorted you just use the RA hand wheel to track an object.

Regards Steve

Archived