NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tripod spirit levels

SW130p

Fed up of having to take the mount off the tripod to level it each time and if I'm too far out using the adjusters polar aligning you have to move the tripod then having to re level again.

I set about making some way of being able to see whilst everything is set up so came up with three small spirit level vials hot glued to three of the gaps between the legs.

I first levelled the tripod with a boat level, whilst adding each vial in turn matching the level of the mount.

Now I can set it up very quickly can check at a glance it hasn't moved.

Thanks for looking.

post-33784-140004720505_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's no need to level a GEM mount. The process of polar alignment puts the RA axis (and the mount head) in the correct location. The tripod legs can point any-which-way they like.

Indeed ...  About the only advantage is that it "decouples" polar alignment adjustments made in Azm and Dec although if your anywhere close to level the interaction is pretty small... 

If it helps the way you do things and only costs a couple of quid then there's nothing wrong with it... I must admit going level mad on an ETX105 I had once...

Peter...

Er, levelling helps with balancing. Having 2 long legs and 1 short one cants the rig over to one side causing fun and games for a perfect balance.

My observing ground is a slope, so if I didn't bother to level, the rig would be leaning over, which it does when I bring it back inside onto level floors.

Just my 2p.

Er, levelling helps with balancing. Having 2 long legs and 1 short one cants the rig over to one side causing fun and games for a perfect balance.

My observing ground is a slope, so if I didn't bother to level, the rig would be leaning over, which it does when I bring it back inside onto level floors.

Just my 2p.

how does it? Once the mount is polar aligned then the RA axis is in the same position regardless of where the legs are pointing.

Mines on a slope too, that's why I need to get it level if rather know its level the best I can . One of the legs has to point north as it has the little post on top for the azm adjustment knobs so legs can't just point anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Megabucks Takahashi mounts don't even have adjustable legs and nor does their adjustment for altitude allow them to be used very far north, so owners just tilt the north tripod foot on a brick to get more elevation. It doesn't seem to be a problem. However, Tak mounts use a level on the RA housing to allow the reticle to be properly orientated. On the SW it is orientated by using a level on the fixed mount head. That said, the amount of reticle misalignment by not being dead level would not be detectable through that system, I don't think.

I often wonder why the Tak system isn't used more widely. I think it is used on the Vixen Atlux. The thing is that levelling a tripod actually takes quite a long time compared with just rotating your RA housing and since it isn't really necessary for any other purpose than setting the reticle it seems a poor system.

But as Peter says, the OP's system is quick and easy to see. It just isn't worth obsessing over a level mount.

Olly

how does it? Once the mount is polar aligned then the RA axis is in the same position regardless of where the legs are pointing.

I don't want to detract from the OP thread.

But I didn't say anything about alignment.

If I didn't level the rig it would all be leaning over like the tower of Pisa as it does when I return indoors if I don't drop the long leg from outside.

Outside I have one leg a good 6" longer than the others to compensate for the slope, so we can imagine how it leans on a level surface.

Archived