Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

memories of some amazing sights

Thought I would just share a memory with you guys. Ive been to a fair few countries whilst being in the army, they usualy send us to the most desolate places on the planet, but for star gazing there have been some real eye openers. We went to northern alberta on the Canadian prarie and saw the northers lights in all there glory, and I didn't think I had seen clear dark skies like that until i went to Afghanistan in 2011, we were in the middle of the green zone in gareskh. It was so dark you couldn't even see your hands in front of you, out there I witnessed a brilliant view of the milky way and a meteor shower that was like a pyrotechnics show. My bins got used a lot more for looking at the sky than they did looking for Taliban positions. I just wish I could have had the chance to take a scope out with me.  its just a fond memory I have from those couple of trips away.

I spent a year in rural Kenya and the sight of the heavens above was astonishing. I was only slightly interested at the time - I now wish I'd some bins and a star map with me. Special memories!

Archived