NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

QHY5-II Colour or Mono

MND

I've just ordered an ED80 and ST80 to guide with. I'm going to get a QHY5 as guide camera but which is best and what is difference between mono and colour?

I think the main difference between them is that the mono is more sensitive and has a better sensor but there is plenty of people that use the colour for guiding.

What I would also think about is if you intend to do planetary with it on your c9.25 which this camera with produce some amazing images and whether you would want them in colour or mono.

Choice is yours.

mono is more sensitive so will pick up more guide stars, i might be a bit bias tho as i will be taking delivery of my QHY5L-ii mono tomorrow and can not blooming wait lol :D

also a lot more detail in mono if your going to use it as a planet cam, just need to add the cost in for filter wheel and filters...

The sensitivity difference is important if you're using an OAG rather than a guidescope, with an OAG you need to catch every photon going... With a big guidescope it makes little difference, I use(d) the colour version (QHY5L-II) and found it plenty sensitive such that it would aquire a guidestar with 1 sec exposure on any random field, that meant I didn't even have to hunt around for one. The bonus of course is that it makes for a very nice planetary camera too - which is it's primary role now as I have a Lodestar.

ChrisH

Anthony is correct. Mono is more sensitive but not by a huge margin to make a huge defference. Maybe if you were imaging with an OAG and long FL then I would suggest the mono but your not. If you every want to dable in planetary you could get the color and it would work fine for both. Though you can image with filters with the mono too.

The QHY5L-II has very small pixels so mono or color doesn't matter for guiding with an ST80, only if guiding with a very short focal length you will have an advantage with the mono version because of double the resolution.

Archived