NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

TS Photoline Your views please

hello SGL,

I am thinking of changing my refractor and am looking at the TS Photoline (the 102mm or the 115mm) triplets. Does anyone on here use these 'scopes and what are your views on them?

I've seen a few reports of variable QC and I am aware of the (now fixed0 problems with pinched optics on the first models. I've also been looking at images taken with these scopes and I've noticed a couple of

examples where the red seems to be bloated and bleeding on stars.

http://www.teleskop-service.de/astrofotos-teleskope-von-ts/ts-102mm-flatfield-apo/m27-102mm-f7-photoline-apo.jpg

http://filer.frejvall.se/2014-02-17_M81_130_LRGB_PI_Crop_800.jpg

Now that could be down to processing, but I am keen to here from users of these scopes.

Many thanks in advance.

I bought a brand new 102 and returned it without using it as the focuser was not fastened, the reducer adapter didn't quite fit and there were several loose screws in the box. The icing on the cake was all the dust between the elements in the triplet... Great quality control - NOT. I then tried a 130 (second hand) and wasn't too thrilled. Used it for a while but got my hands on a TEC-140, so out it went.

Reasonably good optics but definitely a gamble. 2p.

/per

Thanks for the response Per.

Thats my concern...dropping the thick end of £2K on a less than perfect scope. I've heard a few instances of far-less-than-perfect QC from TS...

If you are thinking of spending that kind of money then you are well advised to contact a local reputable dealer . I have heard of some horror stories recently ( from a retailer friend ) regarding the lack of QC in even some very respected brands to keep the producion costs down. It is better from the point of view of the manufactrer to pass the buck to the middle man than to instigate an expensive but proper QC Dept just to keep the prices looking competative.

A.G

That's f/7.5 which is beginning to push it further down into the darkness. If astrophotography is the main purpose I would like at a Petzval design at around f/5 or so, which is in the same neighborhood as the Photoline.

/per

My QC worries were the reason I got my 80mm F/6 from APM rather than from TS. Same scope, I gather, but Markus has a reputation for good scopes, and I trusted the APM brand. Mine arrived promptly and without any issues: spotless optics, well tuned focuser. Very nice little scope to use visually. I still need to do some serious DSO imaging with it (need to upgrade the mount, really), but lunar shots show great promise.

Archived