Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ekos anyone?

Gasman

Hi

I`m buidling a Linux box for the obs and trying to get hold of Ekos but on the indi web site its only available as a torrent and noone seems to be seeding it, anywhere else I could get hold of a copy please?

cheers

Steve

which distro you using? i followed these instructions last night on linux mint 16

To install libindi directly from the PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mutlaqja/ppa
Then update APT's package information by running sudo apt-get update.
To install INDI library along with all 3rd party drivers (CCDs, Focusers, ...etc):
sudo apt-get install indi-full
and everything worked.
now, inasmuch as i'd really like to have my scope under linux control, i must say that indi is nowhere near as intuitive/polished as ascom. 

HI Dave

I`m trying out Distroastro 2 (based on Ubuntu I think not sure which version!) at the moment which I`m trying out  on an old Athlon desktop but really I could do with a  higher spec.

My 18month old win 7 laptop won`t let me boot from dvd to try Linux, not sure but I think it might be the UEFI loader I`ve read about which stops you from changing the boot sequence in the BIOS??. I gather Distroastro 3 is due out 23rd June which should have Ekos installed by default!

Steve

No need for torrent you can download it directly from here. Just make sure to run Muon Update Manager after you start your VM to update to latest Ekos. The next release of Distroastro (based on 14.04 Ubuntu) will include Ekos.

Thanks for the info guys. I managed to install Mint 16 Mate version as its less needy on resources and Ekos installed fine, just need to try it out in the obs now and see what works!

Best

Steve

DaveI`

I have an Atik 314L+ and my Lodestar guder. Had to root around online to find an Atik indi driver but found one ok and the Lodestar should just use the supplied indi SX one. I can`t try it all out in the obs until tomorrow, one concern I have is the Prolific chipset with the usb to serial connection for my EQ6? Not sure if Ekos installed a driver for it but all will be revealed when I connect it all up. I`ll report back here with me findings :smiley:

Steve

Hi chaps

Well happy to report all is good in the Gasman obs!. Connected everything up Atik detected!-Lodestar detected!-joystick detected!-EQ6...........no mount detected uh-oh?? turns out I needed the INDI eqmod driver and a quick Google came up with that ok everything seems fine so a very happy bunny at the moment, hopefully no more twitchy Windows in the obs.

Posted a few screenshots and a Youtube demo link

post-15973-0-13648300-1399825880_thumb.p

post-15973-0-96794200-1399825910_thumb.p

post-15973-0-18632400-1399825933_thumb.p

post-15973-0-39653500-1399825970_thumb.p

cheers

Steve

nice one... one day i'll have kit that doesn't rely on poxy winblowz  :grin:

for some reason which i couldn't be bothered looking in to, when i connect my 1100d, it doesn't report the correct chip size.

Are you sure you're running latest version of KStars (kstars-bleeding) from the PPA? The screenshots are for a slightly outdated Ekos.

Dave_D: What are the dimensions reported by the INDI driver and what are the dimensions for the DSLR?

Are you sure you're running latest version of KStars (kstars-bleeding) from the PPA? The screenshots are for a slightly outdated Ekos.

Dave_D: What are the dimensions reported by the INDI driver and what are the dimensions for the DSLR?

well, i'm assuming the frame size is supposed to represent the chip size. it's reporting 1392x1392 instead of 4272x2848 and the pixel size as 5.0 instead of 5.2

oh, and trying to get a preview fails with a 'failed to set binning' message regardless of what binning i use

Hi Knro

Not sure if it is the latest? Its the one that was on the 32bit Mint 16 iso download!. Btw do you know which distro ships with Ekos by default please? I just installed Mint 16 64 bit from a cover disc on my laptop and it wasn't on the install and I get error messages trying to get to the PPA ?

Steve

• 1 month later...

well, i'm assuming the frame size is supposed to represent the chip size. it's reporting 1392x1392 instead of 4272x2848 and the pixel size as 5.0 instead of 5.2

oh, and trying to get a preview fails with a 'failed to set binning' message regardless of what binning i use

1392x1392 is just the default startup value, the correct size is updated after you capture your first image. Also, you can set the pixel size yourself since there is no way to determine the pixel size from gphoto. If you are getting "failed to set binning" error then that means you are using an older version of Ekos, try updating to the latest:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/ppa ppa:mutlaqja/astrometry.netsudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get install kstars-bleeding astrometry.net

Archived