NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Revamp of 17Ah powertank to 22Ah

I obtained my 22 Ah 12v sealed lead acid battery which is compatible with the standard 17Ah battery used in the SW Powertanks (and many others). As the old battery had started to fail, I got a replacement.

post-5655-0-55581600-1399059391_thumb.jp

As can be seen, the poles are different from the original, using M6 screws rather than the flat poles with 5mm holes. This meant I had to widen the holes in the rings used to attach the wires to the poles,using my trusted conical hand reamer.

post-5655-0-70342800-1399059437_thumb.jp

After that it was fairly plain sailing getting the battery installed, and after twisting he wires a bit, everythingfitted snugly.

post-5655-0-96967600-1399059423_thumb.jp

After attaching the front again, there was the slightly nervous moment of switching on the charger, but no hisses, bangs or KZZZEEERRRT like sounds were heard. Instead, the charging lights lit up serenely.

post-5655-0-20316100-1399059454_thumb.jp

The battery is fully charged now, after a healthily long charging period, and it looks like it is going to be put to the test tonight.

Works a treat, I have had it out for a couple of hours, and the old battery would have started to have lights showing "needs charging", whereas this one soldiers on (just like the old one used to). One advantage of the larger capacity is that for a given use you do not cycle the battery as deeply, leading to a longer life.

Well worth doing and at under £31 delivered a good investment.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251505703490?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

There were some very good deals in the UK, but none of the dealers would send to the continent (and many did not even answer my emails)

• 7 months later...

I think to a large degree you and I are in the same boat when it comes to getting things Michael. I am going to try and take the battery out as I can get it to kick start so to speak. I have a UPS system on my woodburner incase of power cuts, this charges two big car batteries all the time which will run for about three days if the plug gets pulled. I will link the charger cables from that to the power tank battery and give it a try. It is no good now so it's not as if it can do it any harm.

BTW I tried talking to it nicely but it's deaf.

Alan

Well, how many screws to hold it together?

I managed to remove the jump start cables as well once it was opened up which form me are pointless and I will never try to sell it so off they come. This was not easy as two of the screw holes seemed to have what smelt like beef stock cube pushed into them and I had to resort to brute force with a large flat blade, I think little hands have been at work here.

Michael, where did you get your battery, please?

Alan.

Alan, I actually recharged the original battery by attaching the jumpstart cables to the external battery charger. I do not quite remember how many screws held the two halves of the power tank case together, but I kknow there were some surprising ones I really had to look for (in the compartment of the charger and cables, e.g.)

I got my new battery here:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B001G6LFUQ/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/278-0366341-2567418

Archived